Stringer and shift converter

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice
The shift converter broke off. the place where the 2 bolts go through broke. I took the cover off all the way to the last cable. Is the cable difficult to get back in ? I have it at the welder to build the hole back up . He said that it could get very hot so they will do it over a couple of days. Is this ok ? Can I get the cables back in or should I even try?
Thanks
Malibu

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Stringer and shift converter

The shift converter broke off. the place where the 2 bolts go through broke. I took the cover off all the way to the last cable. Is the cable difficult to get back in ? I have it at the welder to build the hole back up . He said that it could get very hot so they will do it over a couple of days. Is this ok ? Can I get the cables back in or should I even try?
Thanks
Malibu

Not sure which converter you have, mechanical or hydro-mechanical but neither one is difficult to 'get' get the cables back into. It is very easy to put them in backward or crossed. I would have taken a digital picture of the routing before I pulled them. You may need to get a manual.

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

It is an 86 I do have a manual . I s there any adjustments after I get it back in ?
Thanks
dc

WizeOne

Commander

It is an 86 I do have a manual . I s there any adjustments after I get it back in ?
Thanks
dc

Afraid that I am full of not so helpfull 'shouldofs', but if you system was shifting well before you pulled the cable, you should have marked the neutral, forward and reverse positions of the converters shift arm on the case above the arm.

The only adjustment is on the cable coming back from the throttle/shift lever. The problem is that once you connect that cable back to the converter arm you cannot feel the gear positions when you shift it.

My best guess is to try to pull your two outdrive cable ends into dead center neutral, then install the cables in the converter without pulling them one direction or the other. If you can do that, the outside shift arm should match right up with the attachment end of your throttle/shift cable. That is assuming that you did not tamper with that adjustment and had left it in neutral when you disconnected it from the converter arm.

Hope that helps

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

I have to thank you for advice but I did not pull the cable in fear of those adjustments. The shop welded the aluminum slowly and dropped it in water to keep it cool w/ the cable still attached we'll see tomorrow if it worked ...dc