Stringer 800

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it possible to mate a newer out drive of a Stringer 800, (1984), to a intermediate of a Stringer 800, (1978) ? I see in the manual that the shift mechanism went from a hydraulic one to a shift rod but the shift quadrant looked the same. I couldn't see any difference in the intermediates though...

5 speed

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Stringer 800

intermediate is the same. popular swap and was a dealer update at one point to swap the lower to full mechanical type.

just need to use later shift converter and add the ESA system.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whew! I thought I might of been in a pickle! Thanks! I have all that with the 84 Sea Ray so I'll make sure to get it all when I remove it from the boat this weekend. There is alot more to installing the outdrive than I thought! I'm going to get the upper reseal kit and do it up right. I need to shop the OMC tri grease and the other OMC lubricants called out in the manual.

5 speed

zbnutcase

Commander

You wont find OMC grease/sealers as OMC has been out of business for 10yrs now,but there are many suitable others out there. 'nutcase

WizeOne

Commander

75w-90 synthetic will serve you well all around. What's wrong with your '78 unit?

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

75w-90 synthetic will serve you well all around. What's wrong with your '78 unit?

It's gone... The previous owner sold it and then decided to liquidate the boat and trailer. I got what you see for 1,000.00 bucks. I then bought another boat that had a seized motor but it had all the outdrive and propeller for 255.00 bucks and now it's time to marry them into one, 78 and 84 units:D

5 speed

WizeOne

Commander

It's gone... The previous owner sold it and then decided to liquidate the boat and trailer. I got what you see for 1,000.00 bucks. I then bought another boat that had a seized motor but it had all the outdrive and propeller for 255.00 bucks and now it's time to marry them into one, 78 and 84 units:D

5 speed

Good job. Such a deal!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, well I got the outdrive off but I am having trouble removing the intermediate from the engine. All the hardware is removed, perimeter nuts ... even the two up inside that was never mentioned in the manual! I have not pulled the ball drive/shaft so is this what is hanging me up? I have a 1/16th gap in the mating surfaces when I rock it around... It was mighty cold out there yesterday!!:eek:

5 speed

WizeOne

Commander

.... I am having trouble removing the intermediate from the engine.....

The splined shaft is hanging up in the coupler. It is most certainly rusty. I would carefully apply alternating leverage between the engine and the intermediate housing, using wide levers such as gasket scrapers. It should eventually pop apart.

And yes, extreme cold makes the attention span very short! It is still only 28 deg's here at 11:20am. Brrrrrrrrr!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the donor boat. . . Sorry Sea Ray owners :D

800 donor boat.jpg

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anybody ever feel like doing this when you just can't reach the oil filter or the trim motor?

Access cut.jpg

:D

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remove a few bolts, nuts, shift cable and shift quadrant and Wa La !

Transome cut out.jpg

5 speed

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

The last piece to get off! I need to remove the ball gear and shaft. I think this is what is hanging up and won't let the intermediate with power steering attached come loose.

Power steering & intermediate.jpg

5 speed

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The knuckle and ball gears remain with the unit and are removed as a unit

WizeOne

Commander

The knuckle and ball gears remain with the unit and are removed as a unit

x's2

if all the bolts are out, (oooh, I hate repeating myself) the only thing hanging up is the ball gear shaft, inside the coupler bolted to the flywheel. If you tried to pull the shaft out of the intermediate housing you would have the same problem and no where to get a good grip on it.

Fact is, you could run that 'new' outdrive on your old hydro-mechanical intermediate housing. You would just want a pair of matched ball gears, else they would grind themselves to pieces. (new, of course, would be best)

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was too cold this afternoon to pull the ball drive and shaft. I am going to run the donor outdrive on the old hydro intermediate. I am going after this one for parts :D , otherwise it's going to the dump after the 350 engine is pulled. I'm going to get the selectra trim front engine mounts and all that associated mumbojumbo also. I'll be resealing the outdrive in my house where it's warm! The prop that it had on it was a 15X16 SS prop. The trim anode was gone. . . I'm suspecting the propeller diameter is a tad too big and was hitting it? Btw, I will be putting on a new set of ball gears. I don't want to have to do this again for awhile!

5 speed

WizeOne

Commander

Those outdrives will take full 15" props so I doubt that was an issue. I would also dump that SS prop. OMC's do not like the extra weight. Very hard on the splines in the waterpump shafts. Plus if you hit something, the SS prop delivers a much bigger shock to the OD, than the aluminum one.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good information to know! It is a heavy propeller. I want to get like a 15X22 propeller. I think I will do my base line run with the SS 15X16 and select a different propeller from there. I was told by the old owner to pitch it more because of the light weight the engine spools to 5500 rpm rapidly... that was with what ever prop he had and couldn't remember what pitch it was.

5 speed