stress crack repair?

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,<br /><br />How do I repair stress cracks? I have some spider web cracks at the hull. Is it difficult to do? If I leave it, will it expand? Thanks

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stress crack repair?

If your finger nail can fit in the crack, it needs repair. if they are just cracks on the gell coat I have been told to leave them alone.

Ralph 123

Captain

This procedure is based on the tape, Cosmetic fiberglass and gelcoat repair Vol 2. You can find it at http://bennettmarine.com/fiberglass_repair.html <br /><br />If you are serious about doing the repair, I suggest you buy the tape. Vol 2 covers stress cracks and voids very nicely.<br /><br />If you leave them and water gets in there and freezes and expands, it could lead to delamination.<br /><br />Here is a high level overview of the procedure:<br /><br />first, grind out the stress crack all the way back to good fiberglass - cracks often extend deeper and farther than what you're seeing in the gelcoat. You have to "chase it" until you have no white spots in the FG. He uses a die grinder with a carbide bit, but you can do it with a drill or dremel and an appropriate bit.<br /><br />Second, You mix up some cats hair (a FG putty with very long strands of FG mixed in), fill the area and as it begins to harden, you use a cheese grater (sure form) to take down the high spots, etc in what you just did. If you wait ill it fully hardens you'll have to sand it which is very hard to do since it gets very hard and is tough to sand.<br /><br />Third, you mix up some fairing compound (plastic filler) and recover the area. This stuff is meant to be sanded so let it harden, and sand it a hair low if you'll be applying gel coat.<br /><br />Fourth, mix up some gel coat, match your color, spray it on. Spray on PVA. Wet sand and then buff to a shine.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It can be difficult to repair correctly, and to make sure they don't come back, you may need to dig around inside the hull and check for rotten wood. <br />If they are from a minor impact with the dock or trailer, you may be able to do it from the outside. <br />If the reason for the cracking is unknown, then the cracks will most likely return. If he hull was flexing enough to crack the gel coat, it will do it again unless some changes are made.<br /><br />Thick gel coat can be very brittle and crack easily. <br /><br />I just looked at the bottom of the post, is it the 04 SeaRay that is cracking?

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it is the 04 SeaRay I was talking about. Thanks for all the replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Did you ask the dealer about it? They may help you, or maybe fix it, at times these repairs are covered.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to jump the post, but I just noticed where you're from, ondarvr. I was up in Monroe last night, having dinner. Checked out your profile and saw what you do for a living. Email me if you would. My email address is listed as my homepage on my profile.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

swimmin'for shore<br /><br />I was not able to get an email sent to that address. I will be out of town for a couple of days, but I will try to drop my card of with Jeff a Bayside Marine soon.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

SFS<br /><br />I did get it to go through, so call me.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

NOBODY should have stress/spider cracks on an<br />'04 hull...<br />suspect defect.

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class

onadavr,<br /><br />I got those stress/spider cracks fixed already...just before my warranty ends. I just want to know if I can repair it myself in the future. Also, would choppy water causes stress cracks too especially at the front hull? Also, after the repaired the gel coat, I found out that the surrounding area isn't as smooth as before, well, the shine is still there but just having a rough lumpy touch. Would I be able to buff it smooth again?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There are too many causes for cracks like these to know if they will return without more info and looking at them, but if they were repaired correctly they shouldn't come back.<br /><br />If you mean the area around the repair has over spray on it, then you may be able to clean it off with some acetone, or it may need some very light sanding and buffing. If its the repaired area that is lumpy, they may not have done a good job of sanding and fairing. Or if too much heat is generated when buffing the fiberglass and gel coat it can exceed their heat distortion temperature, this will soften them and can create an uneven surface. I would go back to the dealer and let him know more work should be done.