Storing anchor and line up front in small boat

thomsonr

Cadet
I have a small older 17' bowrider. Upfront I have three storage spots under the seats which I use for life jackets. (See pic). Like many older small boats I don't have a lot of storage

What would you suggest for storing an anchor up front with 75'+ line? I'm new to boating, at present the anchor is sitting in the back of the boat. I used it for the first time today and spent 20mins trying to untangle it.

I was thinking along the lines of running the line through the front attachment at the bow(not a cleat) and coiling it neatly perhaps in some kind of container at the front on the floor, then laying the anchor on top.

Then when I wanted to use it I could lower the anchor and reel out line as needed.

Attachments

• dash_small.jpg
    dash_small.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 6

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Storing anchor and line up front in small boat

I have a small older 17' bowrider. Upfront I have three storage spots under the seats which I use for life jackets. (See pic). Like many older small boats I don't have a lot of storage

What would you suggest for storing an anchor up front with 75'+ line? I'm new to boating, at present the anchor is sitting in the back of the boat. I used it for the first time today and spent 20mins trying to untangle it.

I was thinking along the lines of running the line through the front attachment at the bow(not a cleat) and coiling it neatly perhaps in some kind of container at the front on the floor, then laying the anchor on top.

Then when I wanted to use it I could lower the anchor and reel out line as needed.

Lots of people use plastic tubs for this purpose. It's best if there are holes so the rode can dry out.

The end without the anchor is called the "bitter end". Make sure it is secured to the boat.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Keep your boat shipshape by storing the anchor line, chain and anchor in the bow storage locker under the center seat. The PFD's will have to go somewhere else if they can't fit on top. By "flaking" the line into your new "anchor locker," you will avoid tangles when you deploy it. Coiling your line neatly is a big "no - no" (Seamanship 101). Your pic doesn't show the bow well enough to see what deck hardware you're talking about as far as deploying the anchor, but an anchor roller of some sort is the usual choice.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Wear the life jackets and stow the anchor...;)

Actually, I had the same issue in our 17 foot Sea Ray bowrider some years ago and ended up stowing the anchor in the engine compartment, secured so it couldn't bounce into anything critical. There just wasn't enough room up front.

With the Scout, they designed a v-shaped anchor locker into the bow which holds the anchor upside down suspended above the rode and line. It's easy to just grab, lift and drop but the locker does come at the cost of a bit of leg room.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you use a cat for an anchor??:eek:

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are these extra life jackets or your primary ones? We were storing our primary life jackets and throw cushion only to take them out when we got to the lake. So we bought one of those extra large mesh bags for basketballs, soccer balls, etc. We put our lifejackets and throw cushion in it and tie the drawstring to a hand rail next to passenger seat so it will not blow out towing. Another advantage is they can dry out in the mesh bag. That freed up a lot of storage that would become empty after launching.

I store anchor in a small "cooler" under front bow seat. I lay rode into bottom and then lay anchor on top of that. The cooler has built in drain so water from wet rode runs out. Althought heavier than the danforth style, a navy style anchor stores great and works well in lakes we frequent.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:mad:Never understood why someone would design a boat with no anchoring provisions. My old Starcraft Islander was another prime example.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep your boat shipshape by storing the anchor line, chain and anchor in the bow storage locker under the center seat. The PFD's will have to go somewhere else if they can't fit on top. By "flaking" the line into your new "anchor locker," you will avoid tangles when you deploy it. Coiling your line neatly is a big "no - no" (Seamanship 101). Your pic doesn't show the bow well enough to see what deck hardware you're talking about as far as deploying the anchor, but an anchor roller of some sort is the usual choice.

When I was still climbing towers the new guys would be shocked to see us just basically "pouring" the rope back into a large plastic tub instead of making a neat coil. Considering how neat we kept the rest of the equipment it looked out of place. All comes together when you see how nicely all that rope comes back out of that tub.

rwidman

Lieutenant

:mad:Never understood why someone would design a boat with no anchoring provisions. My old Starcraft Islander was another prime example.

I've often wondered that also. I suppose the style people have it over the "practical" people.

Then again, people actually buy these boats so whose fault is it anyway?

rwidman

Lieutenant

When I was still climbing towers the new guys would be shocked to see us just basically "pouring" the rope back into a large plastic tub instead of making a neat coil. Considering how neat we kept the rest of the equipment it looked out of place. All comes together when you see how nicely all that rope comes back out of that tub.

If you have a windlass and rope locker, that's what happens to the rode. It just goes in and lays on itself. It never tangles.

nlain

Commander

My 87 17' SeaRay Seville had no anchor storage, I kept it on the floor as far forward as it would go. No it did not look good but it was right there when I needed it. It never got in the way, I guess always there and we compensated for it. My 2004 185 Sport has an anchor locker in the point of the bow which is great. SeaRay did away with that in the 06 models, kinda dumb in my way of thinkin, but as stated people buy them.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In our boat, we actually have 4 compartments up front (advantage of a fish and ski - lots of storage). The port compartment holds extra life vests, ski vests, throwable, and deflated tube. The small center compartment holds dock lines, tube line, and ski line. The large center compartment holds fenders and bimini cover. The starboard compartment holds the anchor and rode. My issue is the compartment is huge, enough to hold 3 or 4 of my current setup (15 lb mushroom, 6 ft chain, 100 ft rode). I'm going to build in a divider so I can use approx 1/3 of it for anchor and rode, and free up the remaining for beach towels, food, etc. Not trying to brag, just happy with my storage (of course it comes at the expense of comfortable seating up front!).

Find room for it, or get a tub. Don't coil that line! Just bring it in hand over hand, and let it run into the container/compartment as it will. Next time you use it, it will pay out just as nicely.

thomsonr

Cadet

"you use a cat for an anchor?? "

It's my first season out and I've gone through about 10 cats. The SPCA must be getting suspicious.:)

That poor little guy (and several more in the neighborhood) got run over when recent road construction closed a main artery near our place and the traffic was diverted to a road near our place all summer. I really miss him.

Last edited:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

That poor little guy (and several more in the neighborhood) got run over when recent road construction closed a main artery near our place and the traffic was diverted to a road near our place all summer. I really miss him.

That sucks. :(

When I had my 16' Bayliner, I kept the anchor in one of the bow seat compartments. Worked fine, until it broke the plastic thru-hull for the livewell. Replaced the broken plastic one with a bronze one, and move the anchor to the other side. :redface: