Storing alcohol on the boat.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Storing alcohol on the boat.

wow do I feel lucky to live in NC. Drink while boating as long as your under the legal limit. Sounds fair to me.

Same in Missouri. I miss LOTO. :grumpy:

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bill
Kinda wondered how other juristrictions dealt with this.
From the hear say I've heard, as long as the consumption of alchol in a RV is done in the living quarters and not in reach of the driver it was legal, but thats hear say of course.

There is an exemption for RV's as long as it is in the living area and out of your reach.

moosekoot

Cadet

I live on the shuswap and have neighbours that are RCMP on the water. First thing is the driver has to be sober, you can have alcohol on a boat but you can not be tied up or in a public place to consume alcohol. So if you are out on the lake alone and the driver is sober, it is ok.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm,

"Although it is not illegal to have or consume alcohol on a boat in the State of Kansas, it is illegal to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while operating a boat or personal watercraft on Kansas water. Any person who operates or attempts to operate a boat has given consent to an alcohol and/or drug test by KDWPT Law Enforcement Officers. Failure to submit to a test will result in loss of boating privileges for three months, and a conviction of boating under the influence is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment and the loss of boating privileges. Successful completion of an approved Boating Education Course may also be required."

Boating and Alcohol / Law Enforcement / Boating / KDWPT - KDWPT

Kansas open container, underage and DUI laws are also stringent. Opened bottles or cans of alcohol are not permitted outside of private property or in a motor vehicle. The legal age to consume alcohol is 21, although there is an exception for parents to provide their own child with alcohol. A person can be charged with a DUI if their blood alcohol content level is greater than 0.08 percent, (or 0.02 percent if underage). Refusal to take a breathalyzer test results in a one-year suspension of a driver's license. (criminaldefenselawyer.com)

I don't have the statutes they give law enforcement officers with me, I retired in 2006, however the law has written then talk about in origial packaging; plastic rings, bottles (seals) and cartons un-opened, Open container in Kansas doesn't just apply to vehicles it apply in all public places outside a building with some exceptions.

I have never been harrassed on the lake with my alcohol or open container but I hardly drink on the lake since I'm to busy trying to fish and sometime forget that I brought some beer with me.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I live on the shuswap and have neighbours that are RCMP on the water. First thing is the driver has to be sober, you can have alcohol on a boat but you can not be tied up or in a public place to consume alcohol. So if you are out on the lake alone and the driver is sober, it is ok.

We are in Salmon Arm, when we head out to the narrows, we avoid the provincial parks/docks, just drop anchor.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

After the lunacy of last summer I've sworn off Lake of the Ozarks. Just too many boats going too fast making the water so rough thre is no fun in being on it.

Some days are like that on Milford Lake here in Kansas, even in some of the coves.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

After the lunacy of last summer I've sworn off Lake of the Ozarks. Just too many boats going too fast making the water so rough thre is no fun in being on it.

It's like that on summer weekends up to about the 60mm. Most times though you can easily boat the whole lake.....for example, the weekend before memorial day:

littlerayray

Lieutenant

in ontario the law states you must have facilities on board to have open containers. IE: head and bunks.
now to get back on topic ive stored liquor in many hot places as long as it doesnt boil it is good to go

agallant80

Commander

OK this thread can die now. I got my answer. Thank you everyone.

Thalasso

Commander

Sister lives in Raleigh. I am going down to visit. Were are you located? I would be willing to come over and do a sampling test for you.It won't go bad. Beer will because of heat. I keep all kinds on the boat during the summer.

Thalasso

Commander

I highly approve of adult beverages at the right time and the right place. Aboard a boat is neither. An open container is a trip to the slammer in many states.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander

Interesting, i didnt know there were any open container laws for boats. There surely arent in Florida! The driver can even drink, just not be over the legal limit. Earlier this week I was drinking a beer while driving my boat through a no wake zone and passed a cop and he waved.

Pa is the same way

Thalasso

Commander

No where in the VA boating regs does it say anything about open containers.The waterway laws are sorta diff then motor vehicles (highway) in that you can have open containers. The driver is allowed to consume as long as he doesn't have over a .08 on a BAC test.

Cant get the VA link to work so here is a little C/P
The Law
When it comes to alcohol, the law for operating a motorboat is nearly the same as for a motor vehicle. The presumptive level for being under the influence of alcohol is 0.08 BAC. No person is allowed to operate a watercraft under the influence of alcohol, narcotic drugs, or other self-administered intoxicants or drugs.
Virginia has a "Zero Tolerance" for anyone under 21 years of age. It is unlawful for any person under the age of 21 to operate a boat after consuming alcohol.
The penalty for conviction of Operating Under the Influence (OUI) is as much as one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine, a loss of the privilege of operating a watercraft for 12 months, and/or mandatory enrollment in the Alcohol Safety Action Program certified by the Commission on the Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP). All convictions are reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

On my boat beached, docked, or securely anchored is pretty much the ONLY place I drink alcohol.

I don't drink at home and the boat is the only social place that I can get sloshed and be in bed in 10 steps to sleep it off before driving.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Had many bachelor Partys at Lake and always transported and beached Boat when we consumed . Drunken Bachelor sitting/sleeping in bow with fishing pole we got checked by Ohio Game Warden late that night . Anchor out back of boat and was given freindly warning about my keys laying on dash being accesable . Yes we hooked a Fish to his line for fun to watch him come alive . I saw this video and it brought back memories of deceased Friend . drunk fisherman - YouTube

PS if they fall in is why we beached as you will have to save their life as they might be able to crank fishing reel but can't swim .Hang bottle over the side on rope below water

UncleWillie

Captain

... we got checked by Ohio Game Warden late that night . Anchor out back of boat and was given friendly warning about my keys laying on dash being accessible ...

You were lucky you took them out of the ignition!

I had a buddy who decided that he was too drunk to drive, so he pulled over, shut off the car, and went to sleep.
The highway patrol stopped to check the car on the side of the road;
He got a DUI because the keys were in the ignition. It demonstrates intent!
If he had dropped them on the floor it would have been a pass!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

You were lucky you took them out of the ignition!

I had a buddy who decided that he was too drunk to drive, so he pulled over, shut off the car, and went to sleep.
The highway patrol stopped to check the car on the side of the road;
He got a DUI because the keys were in the ignition. It demonstrates intent!
If he had dropped them on the floor it would have been a pass!

Of course he also earned his dui since he was obviously driving when he pulled over there.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

I can rember when a hot lure was #4 hook soldered to pulloff top from beer/pop cans and glass beverage containers were nonos on size of boats we had for a reason .

one down-side of open container laws (and really, the tougher enforcement of drinking laws) is that it increases litter, since people are more likely to pitch the evidence. And I usually pick up floating trash, so I may ride around with a whole lot more empties that I started with!
Another reason why an "open container" law doesn't fit for boating--but I did hear of one state (or maybe lake) that has it. You have to check your own, and just be smart about it.

Anyway, I will keep picking up trash, and being discrete and temperate with my drinks.