still having tilt/trim troubles w/Bravo 1

goldnrod24

Cadet
Last week, y'all helped me out with determining the proper wiring for a steering wheel mounted trim switch.<br /><br />After hooking it up, I had no up switch (limited). Down and trailer up worked fine. I re-wired back to the original shifter mounted switch and still had no up.<br /><br />Re-reading old posts, I read where the limit switch may be faulty or the wires corroded.<br /><br />Do I understand correctly that there are 2 switches on the drive, one port and one starboard? Which limits the up switch and which controls the gauge? My gauge hasn't worked for years. I wonder if the 2 problems are connected?<br /><br />If I remove the switch screws, is there anything such as springs, etc. to pop out and cause me grief? If the trouble is in the wiring where it passes thru the transom, I am screwed because there's no way I can access that area... way too cluttered.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm hoping one of you has been down this road and can help me out.<br /><br />goldnrod

MooseHootie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: still having tilt/trim troubles w/Bravo 1

The trim limit sensor and trim position sensor are sold as a kit. To install these it is time consuming. And you need a few special tools. The directions for installing them come in the sender kit from mercruiser. I had fun installing mine when my trim sender guage was not working.

goldnrod24

Cadet

After reading some more, I find that the drive has to come off too? True? Sheesh, this is moving far away from my realm.<br /><br />goldnrod

goldnrod24

Cadet

Originally posted by Blk-n-Blu:<br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm <br />look here and be sure to check the wires leading to the switches first
I'd like to check the connections inside the switches first. If I remove the screws and the cover, will the connections be inside? Will springs and other "day spoilers" pop out? Can the terminals and contacts be cleaned/tightened, etc.?<br /><br />I'm ruling out the easy fixes first.<br /><br />goldnrod

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey goldnrod, here's ya an easy fix "IF" your problem was an easy one to fix as mine was. Take the cap off the trim limit switch on the port side. Next, using a small flat blade screwdriver, scrape the contact area all around the ring. The metal tends to develope a "skin" over it, thus not allowing good contact. Finish up by putting some dielectric grease on it.......then hopefully you'll be good to go. Mine had the same symptoms as yours, so hopefully it won't actually be bad wiring, cuz they're a royal pain in the arse to fix.