Stiff Steering

FORCEfull

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 85/85 force. The steering is very stiff. I know it is not the cable or the steering head it is new. It is the pivot on the engine mount. I suppose the grease is old and has led to the engine pivot becoming stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Stiff Steering

Start by applying some grease to the pivot tube fitting(s). This along with the tilt tube need regular grease, especially if a boat is left in the water.

91formula

Seaman

FORCEfull, <br /><br />Had the same problem wouldn't turn to the left without all my might, filled up the steering tube and any other grease fitting I could find around that area plus lubed the outside of the steering tube, during the 1st use after I could feel it working better, after we pulled into the dock it was back to normal, keep it lubbed,

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My steering was real stiff after years of not much use. Every time I go out now I give it a little shot of grease and it's really helping to loosen up the mechanism. Don't over grease but just keep applying the lubricant on a regular basis.<br /><br />Dymo