STICKY Vinyl seat problem help

terrygar

Cadet
Hello I just bought a Odyssey 300 pontoon boat 2005 model and the vinyl seats are browning and very sticky to the touch. We have tried to clean them with several products but they still are very sticky. No rips or tears just sun fading. What can I do to save them, new vinyl would be too expensive and I use towels now but its no fun.
Thanks for any help
Terry

Attachments

• photo228196.jpg
    photo228196.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228197.jpg
    photo228197.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228198.jpg
    photo228198.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228199.jpg
    photo228199.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Terry,
Look like a nice boat by the looks of the seats as it was originally anyway. From the looks of the seats there might have been a cover on it for a long time and the color came off on the seats. Like it melted into the vinyl. What type of cleaners have you tried? If you want to try paint thinner it might take the stickiness off some. It is hard to tell if the brown areas are worn or just stained from the cover. If the vinyl is not rotted then thinner will be fine. Turpentine, or paint thinner NO Lacquer or acetone based products.
Test on a small area first. If the sticky comes off great. Then apply something like armorall to the vinyl to protect it some.
Good luck with the boat.

terrygar

Cadet
Thanks Chief Petty Officer, I see why your the chief, very supportive. Thanks I'll try thinner. The brown areas are not worn its part of the fading, I'm sure it sat for along time outside. On the good part, the boat is in perfect condition except for the seats with a Suzuki 60 , 4 stroke with only 140 hours.

cionjay

Seaman
I would try cleaning them with a product called Bar Keepers Friend that is available at places like ace hardware and then follow up with odorless mineral spirits. this will not only help clean them but will help condition the seats and protect them from future sun damage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look up 303 cleaner. Bar keepers friend is abrasive. I wouldn't use thinner either.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The opinions that follow are not those of an expert. Follow at your own risk. ... I'd be more concerned about the sticky than the color. If the sticky is something on top of good vinyl, you should be able to remove enough around an edge somewhere to reveal good vinyl underneath. A fingernail might do the job. If you can't remove even a little of the sticky to reveal good, non-sticky vinyl of any color, then I suspect the vinyl itself is decomposing. If that is the case, your options are limited. ... A Google search revealed references to a bad batch of vinyl used by some suppliers some years ago. You might research that too.

cionjay

Seaman
You are right Scott, Bar keepers friend powder is abrasive. If you use it, mix it with water or purchase the non-abrasive liquid and it cleans very well. Google mineral spirits on vinyl and you will see that a lot of professionals use it to restore vinyl upholstery.

terrygar

Cadet
Its a sticky surface , not deteriorating at all. Its something that to the touch makes your hand want to stick but nothing comes off on your hand??
Terry

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
I am an Upholsterer of 47 years, and have had experience with Vinyls since I started learning the trade. I have had very good luck with spirits. It won't harm good vinyl. It sure looks like yours is stained.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Don't know if it will work, I never had that bad of a problem, but I like a product called Spray Nine.
Just for some information...i was told to never use anything on vinyl that contains ammonia.

Last edited:

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
We use a mixture of bleach and vinegar on our golfcart seats. Let it sit a while then wipe off. Takes a few times but really cleans up the mildew and staining that you can't get clean.

Jeep Man

Commander
We use a mixture of bleach and vinegar on our golfcart seats. Let it sit a while then wipe off. Takes a few times but really cleans up the mildew and staining that you can't get clean.

Use caution when using bleach on the seats. The bleach will react with the thread and cause new problems. I was going to suggest Mr. Clean Magic Eraser but held back for the same reason. That is not to say not to use either. Make sure you wash it down thoroughly after with mild soap and water.

ahicks

Captain
I think you're going to find that "sticky" is actually the vinyl breaking down - due to age, but more likely the sun. I've seen car dashes do the same thing.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
If you (+5 more members) would like to give 303? Products a try please PM us. 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner gives you a strong cleaner without having to worry about potential damage of abrasive cleaners. Our formula is pH neutral and is safe to use on any water-safe surface.

Moving forward, try some 303? Aerospace Protectant on those vinyl seats. It will help keep them looking new and lasting longer with the primary function of protecting surfaces from UV rays. That formula will not leave a greasy or oily residue like other protectants will. Check out more info on those products below, if you're interested.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited: