Stern Drive down ok?

thewooddogg

Seaman
I've got a 92 Four Winns OMC Cobra 5.0 I/O. I got a new house and I would like to put the boat in the garage. I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but is there anything wrong with leaving the sterndrive trimmed to the fully (or almost fully) down position when it's parked in the garage for the winter? It would make the boat fit easier and would give me an extra foot or so or room to walk behind it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stern Drive down ok?

Nothing wrong at all. Most recommend it to keep what water there is drained out that way.

tashasdaddy

all the way down is prefered, always unit to drain, and bellows to relax, in there natural postion.

45Auto

Commander

Nothing wrong with it. It's actually the best way to store it.

Mercury recommends that their I/O's be stored in a fully down position to keep the rubber bellows from taking a "set" from long storage in the trailer position, then cracking when it's lowered to the normal position.

As SBN says, it will also keep any water drained out of it so it doesn't freeze.

thewooddogg

Seaman

Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses! Sounds like it was a good thing I asked.. I've got it sitting trimmed up right now.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses! Sounds like it was a good thing I asked.. I've got it sitting trimmed up right now.
Make sure the bow is up high enough so the skeg don't get on the ground when trimmed all the way down.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If space is desired, pull it off the boat, put it on a stand and store it in a corner. They are pretty easy to remove. I take my B3 off every year and store it in my garage. Takes 10 minutes, tops.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

If space is desired, pull it off the boat, put it on a stand and store it in a corner. They are pretty easy to remove. I take my B3 off every year and store it in my garage. Takes 10 minutes, tops.

It's that easy? What about on a pre alpha stern drive. How does the shaft separate from the engine? Is it some sort of spline coupling? If so wouldn't mine be stuck together purty good after 35 years.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yes it should be "that easy". Put it in forward gear, Disconnect the trim rams, remove the nuts holding it on, pull. The shaft is splined and so is the coupler.

After 35 years, who knows, but it is hard to believe that the bellows have never been replaced. 10 years is pushing thier limit.