Stern drive alignment help

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone I have a 1989 19’ tempest it have a 4.3l and alpha 1 drive

I recently replaced the engine due to a cracked block

the problem I’m having is. I can’t for the life of me seem to get the back of the engine and the gimbal housing to line up In order to install the out drive

I have adjusted the front engine mount nuts from as far Down as the will go to as far up as they will go ( no thread left ) and it seems no matter what I do the back of the engine is sitting to high at the back I’ve been using an alignment tool but it gets jammed up and will only go in an inch or so

im at a loss as what to do or look for The back of the engine is sitting flat on the gimbal housing bracket ( if that’s what it’s called

any ideas what I’ve done wrong or things to check would be greatly appreciated

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
You must use an alignment bar. The difference between fitting with some resistance and none is 1 turn of the the motor mounts adjustment screw. make sure both mounts are adjusted the same. I fought mine in wonderful houston heat for 5 hours in July. when it right it slides in with almost zero effort

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible that the donut on the back of the engine (not sure what it’s really called ) is tapered compared to the old one ??

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Did you aim the gimbal bearing? It swivels, why is is called a gimbal bearing. Need to point it at the coupler before attempting to align the motor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Doughnut at the back of the engine is called the 'coupler'. When you installed the engine, did you put all the mounting hardware in, in the correct order. Are you trying to align with the rear mount bolts loose or tightened?

Chris.......

Rear mounting hardware.

mounting.JPG

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for the slow replies I am using a alignment tool

the gimbal is lined up Thanks for the diagram

on my boat for some reason in between part b and d there is a rubber spacer? It was there when I removed the old engine so I put in back on the new one. I checked the old engine thinking it came out of the mount or something but it did not.

im not really sure what it’s purpose is and it’s not there on your diagram.

also I’ve been trying to align things with the back two engine mount bolts tightened down

achris

Sorry for the slow replies I am using a alignment tool

the gimbal is lined up Thanks for the diagram

on my boat for some reason in between part b and d there is a rubber spacer? It was there when I removed the old engine so I put in back on the new one. I checked the old engine thinking it came out of the mount or something but it did not.

That's not going to cause your problem.

im not really sure what it’s purpose is and it’s not there on your diagram.

also I’ve been trying to align things with the back two engine mount bolts tightened down

Yes, rear bolts torqued down is correct. I mentioned it as a lot of people think you do the alignment, THEN tighten the bolts.

Chris......

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
put grease on your alignment tool. slide in. where the grease is gone or wiped move engine in opposite direction. minute movements. If you can't get alignment tool in at all, use a smaller diameter piece of pipe or wood until you get close enough for alignment tool

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here’s another question. The “ new to me”engine I was told is out of a early 1990s boat could this be causing any issues ? I’m at a loss I’ve literally have spent hours trying to line this thing up doing a 1/4 turn at a time as far up as I can go and as far down as I can go and still no luck

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
put grease on your alignment tool. slide in. where the grease is gone or wiped move engine in opposite direction. minute movements. If you can't get alignment tool in at all, use a smaller diameter piece of pipe or wood until you get close enough for alignment tool

This is what I’ve been doing the tool at its best will go in an inch and then hits a wall

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Engine mounts are the same, year after year.

If all else is correct, then there is either something wrong in the rear mount hardware package, the rubber mounts have collapsed, or the boat structure is rotten and not holding things in place.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your replies I’ve given up on it for today I think I might pull the engine make sure I don’t have something in the way or broken and start over

to me it seems as thought the engine is sitting to high at the back if I lift the engine up so the bottom of the front mounts are just touching the mount studs then I can easily slide the alignment tool in and out Oddly enough

achris

Did you replace the rear engine mounts? Merc changed them slightly, and the new ones don't use the double wound washer.

Chris...

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you replace the rear engine mounts? Merc changed them slightly, and the new ones don't use the double wound washer.

Chris...

No I did not change anything when I pull the engine out I’ll have a look and see if there different