Stereo volumn knob causes fuse to blow

P3FE

Seaman
I installed a CD player in my boat. Everything is hoookedup correctly- now when I increase the volumn-my continuous hot fuse blows (1.5A) It is a 99 bayliner-I have checked and all voltages read correctly-There are 2 hots. one is continuous and the other is present when the ignition switch is turned on-I wired the continuous hot by the color code, and ir should only power the memory right? I cannot understand how the volumn has anything to do with it- the other hot does not blow- but I lose main power. Am I chasing a bad ground? any ideas?

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stereo volumn knob causes fuse to blow

If you do have it wired correctly.........must be a short somewhere.........
Check the speakers wiring.........the short may be there..........

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Do a test.turn the bass all the way down and see if it still blows the fuse.
Some radios just pull more amperage with the bass cranked up.
Step up to a 2 amp or so fuse.
Also agree on checking for a short to the speakers.

Audio Greg

Cadet

Good news, likely a simple fix. The fuse blows as volume increases because current draw on a stereo is highly variable. As volume increases, so does current draw.

Re-examine your fuse size. Should be a 15 amp (rather than 1.5). The term "Memory" (yellow wire) is misleading. In most Marine and Car stereos this wire should be considered Main power. It draws power for everything except on/off function, which is the handled by the "Accessory" (red wire). Hope this helps.

P3FE

Seaman

Thanks everyone-I'll give her a try- it will be awhile before i post what fixed it-although I am a little confused as the last stereo I had died, and the new one is wired the same way. I am going to step up the fuse, and turn the bass down, inspect the speaker wires by disconnecting them one at a time, to see if that makes a difference- it could be that the new stereo draws more current based on wattage-so the fuse may be the trick. I'll let you know.