Steering Replacement

GreggS

Cadet
Hey Guys,
I want / need to replace the steering cable in my 21.5', 1974 Starcraft, SuperSport.
It's an aluminum, walk-thru, ski boat powered with a 75 hp outbaord. (Side console)
Does and one have any idea what the cost might be to have the it replaced and where I might get this done?
I'm in the Southern Maryland area.
As a matter of fact, I'd perhaps like them to replace any hoses and electical while they're at it (?).
Any input would be appreciated.

Gregg

GreggS

Cadet
Re: Steering Replacement

Right "EZ",
It's the whole steering system I'm looking to replace.

Gregg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are not mechanically inclinded consult your local dealer. the steering is fairly easy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What "electrical" are you thinking of replacing. That's a pretty general term and can mean a single wire or the entire electrical system. If you want the boat rewired entirely, you are looking at many hours of labor and the total would likely scare you to death.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I just ordered the Teleflex SeaStar Pro Hydraulic system for my MonArk (aka Starcraft) 18' with 100hp engine. $1000.00 for the complete kit. No more cables to contend with! A little more difficult to install but not much. Steering is pretty easy in general.

As a side note: The SeaStar Pro is for 150 and above engines. The BayStar is a cheaper, transom mount low pressure system rated for a single 150 and below, bolt on, non tiller motors with adequate room to mount it in the splashwell. I couldn't get a straight answer if single engine meant that meant a kicker couldn't be linked and steered from the helm or not so I just upgraded to the SeaStar to be safe.

Replacing the wiring should be fairly straight forward for a Marine Electrician. You just need to order the boat side of the engine harness and put the boat connectors on it. The accessories (not in the harness) wiring should be done with factory wire colors if possible. If not, make sure the changes are documented on the schematics and keep a couple of copies stashed in the boat, (under the dash, under the splash well, behind side covers, etc.).

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Replacing the Steering cable is not too hard just a few hours work. Before you call a marine mechanice look at it, and see if you can figure it out. I called my local shop and inquired as to how much it would cost and it was more than double the price of ding it myself. Cost was 250 from Iboats. And to get the shop to do it was well over 500.
So I got me and a buddy and a frosty beerage and we did it in an afternoon. All went well. Just take your time and if you run into problems the guys around here are really helpful.
I would go with a no feed back system, they are great! Eliminates any torque steer you may have.
Good Luck