Steering Question?

nailsetter54

Cadet
I just install a new steering system on my boat which was a no feed back system.When I had it all done i notice that the outboard motor seems to turn more (sharper) in one direction than the other. I did not notice what it did before I changed the steering system.(needed two hand and then some to turn the wheel before)Is this normal on boats or is there some kind of adjustment that i might be able to do to make it turn sharper or same in both directions.I am new to boating so any infor. would be great. Thanks in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Question?

Did you center the cables and the motor?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You can remove the steering pinion from the cable and move the engine whichever direction you need to help and solve this problem. Then reattach the wheel.<br /><br />On tension, there (is on mine) a tensioning nut under the console (the plastic boot between the wheel and the dash) that you can tighten to eliminate this problem.<br /><br />If you still have trouble, get on www and contact Morse Teleflex. Tell them what your problem is and they can help.<br /><br />Mark

nailsetter54

Cadet

Thanks for the info but dont quite know what you are calling the steering pinion. If you could explain a little more it would be great. thanks again.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The steering pinion is on the end of the shaft that the steering wheel is connected to. I is what causes the gears in the rack to move back and forth.<br /><br />But having just installed a new cable in my rack and pinion system I'm not sure that has to happen. <br /><br />All it would do would be to determine how the wheel is positioned when the engine is centered. Some wheels have no "UP" position. Mine does. So I have to be sensitive to it.<br /><br />I'm sitting here thinking about why your engine does what it does and I only have one solution. The rod that connects from the end of the steering cable to the engine is the wrong length. <br /><br />To prove the point, disconnect it at the cable and hold it with your hand or improvise as you wish. Adjust the connection as if the rod were 2" shorter, then 2" longer. See if this doesn't tell you what you want to know. One way or the other should equalize your steering, or at least take you in the direction of equalization. I don't know how many inches of offset you need to correct for. <br /><br />Then go to your marine dealer and get the correct length rod.<br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Nailsetter,<br /><br />Did you measure your steering rod? If so, what did you get?<br /><br />Mark

nailsetter54

Cadet

I put the boat in and ran it and it is not as bad and i thought it was so am all set now thank for all the suggestions