Steering maintenance

flashback

Captain
I would like to reduce the slop in the steering system so I read up on it in the manual and came across one of the many Merc "IMPORTANT" boxes..."slight feed back could be encountered if cable guide tube flat surfaces are not positioned vertically." Mine are horizontal. I don't know what slight feed back is and sure could use some enlightenment. Also can't find a grease fitting for it and was wondering if it might have been eliminated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Let’s start with outboard or I/O?
Cable maintenance is a little different on each
“Feedback” is friction. It would be a little harder to turn to there should be no slop, per say. Sloppy steering is almost always a stretched or damaged cable

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would like to reduce the slop in the steering system so I read up on it in the manual and came across one of the many Merc "IMPORTANT" boxes..."slight feed back could be encountered if cable guide tube flat surfaces are not positioned vertically." Mine are horizontal. I don't know what slight feed back is and sure could use some enlightenment. Also can't find a grease fitting for it and was wondering if it might have been eliminated.
is this the searay with the I/O in your signature?

if so, are you sure you have slop and not just suffering v-hull bow wander? this occurs between idle and when you are up on plane on all single engine v-hull boats. a single prop will cause the back of the boat to push to one side, until the forces on the skeg push it back. if you try to correct for this, you just make the issue worse.

yes, on the alpha drive Power Steering actuator, if the servo pilot sleeve is not set correctly, the steering will fight you vs helping you.

do you have slop in the tiller arm at the drive?

flashback

Captain
Apologies, guys, I just realized that my signature doesn't show up on the phone.
Yep it's the 95 searay 220. This boat wanders like a gypsy at slow speed, it's heavy and obstinate!
What concerns me is the play while on plane. I can turn the wheel 2 inches either direction before I get a response. It may be just the nature of the beast and I'll live with it but if it can be improved I'd be all for it. I'll re position the tube flats and see if that helps. It has a teleflex rack at the helm. Problem with checking the tiller is getting 3 friends together at the same time to watch things but it seems good. The gimbal ring was replaced at some point using the back door method and all looked normal in there.

flashback

Captain
Start here.
I was afraid you'd say that! LOL. I didn't take anything apart but I took the patch off the transom plate and the tiller, swivel pin and bushing were tight as were the pinch bolts on the ring. Which reminds me, I recall on my old MC1 drive there was a grease fitting for the bushings. I wonder what bright mind decided they were not needed?

flashback

Captain
Let’s start with outboard or I/O?
Cable maintenance is a little different on each
“Feedback” is friction. It would be a little harder to turn to there should be no slop, per say. Sloppy steering is almost always a stretched or damaged cable
My only experience of "feedback" has been with PA systems and guitar amps. thanks for clearing that up for me. Mainly I am looking for any lubing or adjustments that might be available Like greasing the rack mechanism or cable and adjustment procedures if any. I don't have a manual on Teleflex system.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
. I wonder what bright mind decided they were not needed?
same reason there are no grease fittings under your car in the garage. because maintenance points are deemed a detriment by consumer reports and those selling new cars/boats/atv's/etc. so if there is no maintenance required for the design life, it gets a better rating.

its all about pushing new product out the door

however with that, people must realize that design life of a car is 7 years or 100,000 miles and design life of a boat is about 15 years.

goes back to the phoebus cartel for lightbulbs and planned obsolescence of automobiles back in the 1920's

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Consumer reports.. LOL

Can't believe they're still publishing their ads/commercials. And people are still believing them.
dont think so, however it was an issue with comparing outdoor equipment years ago. we had grease fittings and our competitors did not, however the competitor's equipment scored higher because of it. When asked why, it was simple, every service point is a negative to the score.

flashback

Captain
If I were doing the evaluation service points would raise the score! My boy has an MTD riding mower and it needs a blade spindle,why... No grease fitting for the bearing. My truck has a noisy wheel bearing, why... I can't re-pack it. But the spark plugs sure do last.