steering locked up

scorpionfs

Seaman
i have a 150 black max on a boat i purchased later part of last year was lil hard to steer ,i unloaded saturday to go fish and steering was locked up,i have a one cable steering system i took the linkage off and the nut that holds the cable in the cylinder off,and still cant turn steering wheel,i started to take it lose from under the panel and see if i could take a screw driver and make the cable turn inside the casing to see if i could break it free not sure if that would fix the problem. how hard should it be to rotate ur engine with everything disconnected.seems it hasnt been greased in a while.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: steering locked up

With the steering cable disconnected the motor should turn back and forth very easily.

cr2k

Captain

If your engine turns back and forth with the rod disconnected it may very well be corrosion in the tube. The one the steering rod goes through on the engine.

This can be a real big problem if it is corroded. you need to get it out without damaging anything, then find or build a long round brush to clean out the tube.

Maintenance is everything.

scorpionfs

Seaman

i can pull the rod out 2 or 3 inches freely from the motor and turn the rod maybe 1/4 turn ether way,i was wondering can i unfreez the cable if i can get it loose from under the panel thought i might could get a scewdriver on the rod end and maybe make the cable turn inside the casing and unfreez or do i need to just replace it.which will mean pulling of the motor

Bondo

Staff member

or do i need to just replace it.which will mean pulling of the motor

Ayuh,... That would be My guess,....

scorpionfs

Seaman

i had started taking the cable loose fron the panel end first.the lock bolt that has the cable attached to the sterering assymbly is braded on to it well it also has three or 4 braded studs on it also,am i suppose to try and grind it off where it will come out or am i suppose to try and pull the whole assembly threw the boat ?:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

or am i suppose to try and pull the whole assembly threw the boat ?

Ayuh,... From the motor To the helm...
Change the Whole thing, helm, 'n All...

boatsarefun1

Banned

Sometimes it easier to use bolt cutters and cut the cable into small pieces to get it out. Often the manufacturer attached wires, speedo tube, etc to the steering cable with tie wraps or the like. So cutting it up makes it easier to get out.

scorpionfs

Seaman

thanks all dont mean to be ignorant to the fact but this is my first boat ,its a17.5' 1990 black eagle scorpion f/s,im assuming the helm is the part that the cable connects to that is attached to the tubing on the back of the steering .and does replacing the cable mean the casing as well im hoping if thats so ill get some cable cutters from work and start cutting thanks for that tip :).i have seen 12.5 on the casing but all i have seen on the site is 12' or 13' do they special make these cables or not,im thinking this cable has been installed from factory since the bolts are braded on,once a cable is changed how long will one last.still little confused on what type steering i have.:redface:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

are you sure it's not stuck at the motor end? that's where it usually gets stuck, not at the helm steernig wheel). Did you lubricate it and tap it with a hammer to get it moving? Hammering "in" is easy; you can hammer "out" by putting a bent rod in the hole. You may be able to twist it a little, and also loosen the nut at the starboard side of the motor and get some penetrating oil in there. I've loosened stuck steering dozens of times; hate to see you go chopping if it's not necessary.
I assume your motor turns freely when disconnected?

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try loosening the nuts on cable both sides of the tube it passes through at the motor. If you can then turn the steering wheel, the cable is stuck in the tube and will need to driven out like homecookin' said. If the steering wheel still does not turn, then it's complete replacement time.

The new cable will come in one piece with the rotary (or rack&pinion) box on one end and the connecting rod at the other end. Check Teleflex in the Iboats store. They should have a diagram showing you how to measure.

scorpionfs

Seaman

im pretty sure its not stuck at motor end i can pull the rod out as far as the space i have about two or three inches and ive turned the cable back and forth when its still in the motor housing,the motor does turn with sum force applied,i havent took a hammer to it yet but ill try alot more tricks before i do any cutting thanks.,

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not following your description of what you are doing.

1. disconnect the motor from the cable, by disconnectng the steering arm from the terminal end of the cable.
2. turn the motor by hand--if it doesn't move freely, and the cable does, there's the problem. If the motor turns, proceed to #3.
3. without reconnecting the motor, gently turn the wheel. If no motion, stop. you will break the wheel or that end of things if you force it.
4. If turning the wheel gets good movement on the cable, it's fixed. If stiff, needs (a) lube or (b) tube cleaning. Run it out, clean and lube, return. No WD40 except to remove water. White lithium grease. For (b) see #6.
5. If no movement on the cable, use the hammer method also disconnect nuts and lube everything. A little steady pressure from the wheel (in the right direction!) can help but be careful up there.
6. For some boats you have to remove the motor to remove the steering cable. Do that next to see if you can get it out--if so, and it works, clean the tube on the motor.
7. if it's locked up after it's out of the motor, then the rust lock is inside the cable's tube. FUBAR; replace it. But since you'd have to do all of the above anyway to replace it, you haven't wasted time and may be able to fix it cheap.

scorpionfs

Seaman

:) thanks to all for the help yea i would of had to pull the motor but i finally got it freed up with the hammer method lol.now i see i wasnt suppose to use wd 40 thats what i used to free it up with. but i ran the rod out 9 or 10 times using grease spinning like a top now.i just need to get the motor a lil more loose and ill be good to go.which its even better now than when i traded for it.the man i got it from said it was good to have a tight steering lol.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem with WD40 causing a lock up. I think it first disolved the old grease, then dried it out, or something, to lock it all up.

Congrats on the success. Put it on your annual maintainance list to clean and grease the tube!