steering help please

conron

Seaman
I have a 16' 86 starline with merc 120 I/O. the problem I'm having is that when I run on plane the boat doesn't really want to turn, it kind of wants to stand on the sides and keep straight for the most part. I have adjusted the trim tab and it does this when I turn in both directions. I don't know if its weight distribution or or a problem somewhere or is this how its supposed to be. Please help. This is my first boat and I know almost nothing. Thanks

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: steering help please

sounds like you might have the outdrive trimed all the way down?

when you get on a place do you trim the drive up/out untill the bow comes up and you hear the prop getting air? then you trim it down/in just a little bit.

If you doing this I do not know what else would cause your problem.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: steering help please

two things come to mind:

If it is hard to turn and your fighting the steering wheel, could be prop torque, usually easy to turn one way, like a car needing an alignment pulling to the right or left.

secondly and most likely is improper trim. Im a pretty new boater and trim was something you had to learn as you go and every boat is different. Im guessing since you get on plane your not trimmed in too much. if you never trim out you bow is gonna stick up in the air untill you get enough speed. if you were infact trimmed in too much all the time, you would have pretty good steering, once you trim out (raise your out drive up and out) you will loose percision in steering and the boat will float a bit, take your boat out and try not to trim out so much see if it helps.

when moving thru the no wake zone i trim out a lot so i dont "zig zag" and will move in a straight line since my steering is less sensitive.