steering for 17' mako 115 evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think my heavy hands broke something again!The steering froze up and I tried too hard to turn the wheel and I heard a pop and the wheel moved a bit.I later got the steering moving at the motor lube point but now I have a dead spot of about a half a turn of the steering wheel.It still steers fine except for the half a turn that it does nothing.What did I break???

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: steering for 17' mako 115 evinrude

Probably the rack and pinion under the dashboard at the other end of the steering wheel shaft.

D

DJ

You probably broke a tooth off of the pinionn, or the rack, that is actually the cable end.<br /><br />I think I'd take it apart and have a look. You wouldn't want that tooth to jam up the works at a very inopportune moment.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder if I can reuse the same steering cable if a tooth is missing and i have to replace the pinion setup???

D

DJ

2770,<br /><br />If the tooth is missing off of the rack, you need a new cable. If it is missing off of the pinion, you need a new steering head.

ledgefinder

Ensign

They don't get any better after this point.<br /><br />I iboats.com can't help you, try boatfix.com. About $120 for the complete system, Teleflex brand name.

MUCSTAK

Seaman Apprentice

You broke a spline off the gear bar.