Steering cable wont bend enough to come out of outboard

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2001 lund with 2001 merc 90 4 cycle. Trying to remove steering cable after finding that the steering wheel would only turn one way. Doesn't seem like cable is flexible enough to clear side of boat where the cable goes into gunnel. Any ideas how to get cable out so it can be cleaned? Thanks

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2001 lund 1700 fisherman, 2001 Merc 90 4 cycle.
Steering cable won't come out of motor it looks like it's hitting the side of the boat in the splash well where it goes into the gunnel, and won't flex. Got most of the rod out of motor now I don't know what to do. Any ideas. Thanks

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
being 74 years old and helping a guy with one leg I didn't think that moving a 375lb motor with another motor on the transom was a real good idea but thanks anyway, We pushed and pulled on the cable under the gunnel and got it out, cleaned it up and put it back together. Seems like it works better than when he got it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess I missed the part about the old man and the cripple in post #1

rolmops

Vice Admiral
It sounds to me that it is time for a new steering cable that has a more flexible setup. You might want to think about a hydraulic one instead of a wire cable. It is amazing how you can stuff those in impossible angles and they still work great

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, what part of the steering cable did you clean? The center part is usually well sealed, and the ends are easy to lubricate, without removal of the steering cable.

airshot

Rear Admiral
375 # for a 90 hp outboard....ouch...man thats a lot of transom weight !! Glad I am still stuck on two strokes...hope you get your steering cable figured out !!
I totally understand the age issue...I am 73....as my wife often states..the only thing golden about getting old is the color of our urine ..

RussellSSweeney

Recruit
2001 lund with 2001 merc 90 4 cycle. Trying to remove steering cable after finding that the steering wheel would only turn one way. Doesn't seem like cable is flexible enough to clear side of boat where the cable goes into gunnel. Any ideas how to get cable out so it can be cleaned? Thanks
I had the same issue so I loosened all 4 bolts (DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS) securing motor to transom to where I could actually shift the motor away from the transom enough to allow me to remove cable from motor.

Attachments

• transommount.png
    transommount.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 4