Steering Cable removel

Bigaceks1

Cadet
I have a 89 Charger with a 90 merc on it,,over the past few years the steering cable has been getting tighter and tighter,when I remove it from the motor the motor turns freely,,so I was wanting to remove it from the dash and maybe lube it,,cant figure how to remove it,,Do I have to take the steering wheel off as well100_1055.jpg100_1056.jpg100_1058.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering Cable removel

I have a 89 Charger with a 90 merc on it,,over the past few years the steering cable has been getting tighter and tighter,when I remove it from the motor the motor turns freely,,so I was wanting to remove it from the dash and maybe lube it,,cant figure how to remove it,,Do I have to take the steering wheel off as wellView attachment 127794View attachment 127795View attachment 127796

Ayuh,... If it's truly the Cable, it's a Non-serviceable part,... Replace it..

Did ya just pull the pin from the linkage,..??
If so,... Pull the cable completely Outa the tilt tube....
That's the most likely trouble spot, than can be cleaned, 'n lubed..

Bigaceks1

Cadet

Bro,,I cant even figure how to remove it from under the dash,,thats my ? The little 4 nuts(ha) are enclosed in a fitting and the tops of them are smooth like a rivet,,,cant get a socket or wrench on them!

Bondo

Staff member

Bro,,I cant even figure how to remove it from under the dash,,thats my ? The little 4 nuts(ha) are enclosed in a fitting and the tops of them are smooth like a rivet,,,cant get a socket or wrench on them!

Ayuh,... The nuts I see in yer pictures should be No problem gettin' a wrench on,...
I'd probably grab my 1/4" drive set for 'em,...

To pull the whole helm, remove the steerin' wheel, then the helm...

Yer still lookin' in the Wrong spot though...

Bigaceks1

Cadet

There are 2 little metel flanges along each side of each nut ,,IMPOSSIBLE to get a socket on,,and the tops of the bolts are round and smooth like the top of a rivet.

Bondo

Staff member

There are 2 little metel flanges along each side of each nut ,,IMPOSSIBLE to get a socket on,,and the tops of the bolts are round and smooth like the top of a rivet.

Well,... then look at my 1st post again,...
Sounds like yer helm is the same as yer cable,....

Non-serviceable.....

Click on the iboats boat parts links at the top of the page, 'n see what ya can find that'll fit yer application...

cyclops2

Banned

The pictures are showing that the nuts are HELD IN PLACE BY THOSE TABS so they do NOT spin... while the bolt heads on the opposite side are turned. My view may be different. If you undo the nuts & bolts......You may have parts falling out. Broken & good parts. Tread carefully.
Do what Bondo said first. Might clear it up.

Bigaceks1

Cadet

I GOT IT,,THEY WERE 3/16 ALLEN HEAD,,REACH UP IN THERE AND TOOK A PIC OF IT,COULDNT REALLY FEEL IT WITH MY FINGERS,FOUND THIS ON U-TUBE,THIS IS THE SAME SET-UP AS MY APP,THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTZJ4XJ1-c THIS GUY IS A GOD SENT !!!!!!