Steam from Valve Covers

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well finally got a chance to run the new engine this weekend. All in all it ran quite well and is a significant upgrade in terms of acceleration and handling (3.0L -> 4.3L mercruiser).

In total, I probably ran the engine this weekend for 3.5 hrs. It is running a bit warm at idle, so I have to check my impeller, lines, and t-stat housing for any blockage..

As for the real issue, when I was calling it quits for the day, I had to idle back down my channel. It is a fairly long haul and the engine was getting pretty dang warm (200+). I had the engine cover pulled to perhaps give it a little more breathing room and noticed steam coming out of the flame arrestor. I disconnected the valve cover ventilation tubes and found the steam coming from the valve covers. I have not had a chance to check for milky oil in the valve covers, but after 1 hr of straight running (I stopped the engine) I had checked the oil on the dipstick and there was no milk. There was also no steam coming from the valve covers that I could see. It then sat for about an hour before I restarted it.

After doing a bit of searching on here, it appears that people believe the manifolds/risers, or their gaskets, are a likely culprit for this scenario. For this to happen, it would mean water leaked from the exhaust manifolds, past the valves, down the cylinder walls into the crankcase, correct? Which I guess is a totally plausible scenario seeing how I did not notice any steam until I was idling home after having it sit for an hour. I was running near wide open for a while before idling into the channel, so the engine oil was probably pretty warm to start with. The hot oil could be evaporating water that leaked in when I shut it down..

What other possibilities (if any) are there for this scenario? Compression numbers are all good, so I don't expect a blown head gasket. If the water jacket were internally cracked, or other cooling passages were bad I would have expected milky oil and lots of it, right? (e.g. water would be getting forced into the crankcase, rather than leaking in?) It was also a bit cold out ~55, so I suppose there could be some condensate, but I think this was a bit excessive...

My short order plan is to run the engine, drain the oil, check the valve covers, remove the manifolds and risers, test them, and inspect and replace as necessary... Since it is about quitting time for winter anyway, I will probably replace the manifolds regardless if i can get the cash together.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

SB

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steam from Valve Covers

Sounds like you have it pretty much covered......:)
I would definately check the risers/mans for leaks.....;)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

If the oil is clear after running the engine, you may not have a problem. I sometimes have some water vapor out of the rocker vent tubes also, it's just condensation boiling off from the crankcase. If I run for a couple of hours, it stops.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had a similar problem (riser gaskets leaking) with my former OMC 460.

After I shut it down to pick up a skier etc, It would hydrolock if I tried to start it within 10-20 min of shut down.

If I tried to start it an hour or more later it wouldn't hydrolock. maybe indicating that the little bit of water was leaking past the rings and into the crankcase.

Water was evidently leaking thru the riser gaskets until the water level dropped below the level of the gaskets after shutdown when the water was slowly draining from the manifolds.

If I ran it on muffs, the water would continue to leak into the exhaust system until I turned off the hose since the hose seemed to keep the exhaust manifolds and block full of water until it was shut off.

Even though I ran this engine this way for nearly a whole summer I didn't notice an appreciable amount of water in the crankcase when I drained it. The heat probably boiled the water out of there pretty quickly. If you're getting up to 200*, any water in the crank case will not be there long.

You absolutely should check the riser gaskets and manifolds for leaks!

Regards,

Rick

KaGee

Admiral

Any condensation in the crankcase should be burned off after 15-20 minutes of a good run. You have water intrusion someplace to be getting steam from the vent after that long of a run and especially after running 200*.