Stealing My Gas!!!

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stealing My Gas!!!

I have had gas stolen from my boats many many times. I found out who they were each time. Go to the auto parts store and get about 5 or 6 bottles of injector cleaner and dump it in about 4 gallons of gas. It will burn so hot it will melt pistons. I have also used karo syrup, alkaline batteries, water, bleach, octane booster and sugar. It all works. I do like the idea of using way too much oil.

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Up here its fine to run marked fuel in a boat. I suspect it is the same in the US. As long as the vehicle is not being run on the highway system, you can run marked fuel. Several stations here sell it either for boats (in the summer) or snowmobiles (in the winter).

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I guess that option only applies to someone stealing gas for their vehicle ;)

What about just some good 'ol mud? that'd reak havoc on filters and cylinder walls/injectors.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I would remove the temptation (gas) and let Karma take care of the rest.

Before you decide whether or not to mess with the gas, consider the possibility that it's kids doing the stealing and they're using the gas in their parents vehicles.

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, I would remove the temptation (gas) and let Karma take care of the rest.

Before you decide whether or not to mess with the gas, consider the possibility that it's kids doing the stealing and they're using the gas in their parents vehicles.

The more people that think this way, the more crime is going to happen.

In my neck of the woods, rural Maine, everyone has a gun or 2. Crimes like this dont happen very often because the criminals are scared of getting shot or killed. At my home the keys are left in my vehicles, my house is never locked. We dont even have a police department. If someone wants to try and rob me, thats OK, I can always use more TARGET PRACTICE...

kimber2.jpg

shaunlaf

Seaman Apprentice

right back to my ghillie suit and sniper rifle... :)

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The more people that think this way, the more crime is going to happen.

In my neck of the woods, rural Maine, everyone has a gun or 2. Crimes like this dont happen very often because the criminals are scared of getting shot or killed. At my home the keys are left in my vehicles, my house is never locked. We dont even have a police department. If someone wants to try and rob me, thats OK, I can always use more TARGET PRACTICE...

Where I live, West Coast Canada, not many people have handguns (I assume that this is what you mean by gun). Handguns are restricted weapons in Canada. Quite a few people have hunting rifles, but not everyone.

In our town we don't have alot of crime, certainly not violent crime anyways. Our family usually only locks the house when we leave town (which I consider to be a bad habit). I usually lock my vehicle but I have never heard of one getting stolen in the 5 years I've lived here. There is no police officer living in town, the nearest police live on another island and must travel by ferry or police boat.

I can't tell you for sure why crime is low here but it's not because people are worried about getting shot, maybe because it's a small town and for the most part, we all know each other.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I do like the idea of using way too much oil.

I like the idea (mine) of no oil. Chances are the thieves are running two stroke outboards and if yours is too, they'll expect it to be 50:1 mix.

Let them run their motors on straight gasoline for a bit and sit back and wait. Sooner or later, you'll see some folks with burned up outboards.

PS: Just noticed that you have a 4-stroke. Too bad. Then again, anyone else with this problem, who happens to have a 2-stroke, can use my idea.

???

reelfishin

Captain

yeah, I say that... but I'd still be kicking *** anyway. ;)

But I didn't say that, and Im no accomplice, and I most certainly didn't suggest buying a paintball landmine, and filling it with pepperspray instead of paint.

Especially not this one. http://www.specialopspaintballstore.com/product/I000605

I like the paint ball mine idea, but get it on tape too. It would play well on an episode of Dumbest Criminals.

It reminds me of when buddy kept getting his mail box run over. After 5 or 6 times, he let me build him a custom mail box post. I took a length of PVC pipe, two end caps, and a tire valve. I filled the pipe with yellow road striping paint, the reflective stuff that don't come off, sealed up the pipe and pumped up the pipe with about 150 PSI of nitrogen. I used that for the mailbox post. That night it got hit again, all we had to do was follow the trail of yellow paint right around the corner. The truck was nearly 3/4 covered in reflective road paint.
Maybe a paint rigged tank with some pressure in it? I'm sure a carb full of paint would make for a nice mess too.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

How about a inconspicuous shut off valve in the line. That would make your gas more difficult to steal.
An alarm system would also be a nice touch to get people's attention.

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

My uncle had someone keep stealing his stereo out of the car. He loosened some of the screws on the sides and put razor blades in it. One morning he came out to find the door open and blood on the seats. A week later he came outside to find all the windows were smashed out.

A buddy had someone keep emptying his crab traps while he was off fishing. He put a tag halfway down the line that said "if you are reading this, I am watching you through a rifle scope". No more problems.

Thieves aren't smart and they don't want to get caught. I would try some psychological warfare first.

Grant

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Part two of my input on this, we used to have boats at the dock of our house, but the dock was 700 feet away from the house through woods, so no visibility, of the dock. We did have security on the house though, so we got them to run us a line out to the dock, then we hooked a sender onto anything that moved on the boat, worked great, if you used it right. We did lose an outboard there, but it was a friends boat that wasn't hooked up to the system. Not probably what you're looking for, but even a motion sensor light, or a motion sensor sprinkler could do something, and is relatively easy to set up.