stator wiring problems

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 evinrude 150xp, my stator is disconnected from the power pack......no plugs.....one wire is brown, the other is brown with a yellow stripe....on my stator, two brown wires are ran through plastic tubing (insulation) and tge two brown/yellow stripe wires are ran through another plastic tube(insulator) , my question, do the two brown wires get hooked to one power pack, and the brown with yellow stripe wires to the other power pack, or is there a brown wire and a brwn/ yllw wire attached to each power pack? Where can i find a wiring diagram for this? Thank you.....

daselbee

Commander
Re: stator wiring problems

You can use your ohmmeter to figure it out. There will be two pairs, and only two pairs that show continuity when testing with an ohmmeter. If you pair up the wrong two wires, there will be no continuity. If you pair up the right two wires, you will have continuity on that pair, and by default, the other pair will show continuity also.

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

Ill chect that tomorrow thanks......just curious, say two of tge wires from the stator to the power pack are backwards, what are the symptoms, what problems will i have.....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's the correct wires going to the proper power pack you should have none. It's just AC current.

stratos150xp

Seaman Apprentice

I was sold a cdi stator 173-3117, was told it would work.....after the fact i looked up the cotrect part number for my motor, its a 173-3668, it looks identical, and after installing the 3117 stator in my motor, the charging system operates properly now.......while removing tge flywheel, i boogered up the top of the trigger pretty good, i actually put about an 1/8 in gouge in tge top of tge trigger with a tap,,,,,,what issues could i have with a bad timer base, (trigger)?.....and do u think the stator i put in, even being the wrong part number, should work?

My model number is e150stlcca