Stator wires bad all the way up

Kmyers

Seaman
Thanks, to all that has helped previously. Now I have another question, after repairing my engine harness I have noticed that my stator wires ( yellow/red) are bad all the way up to grommet under flywheel. I seen someone before stating to go ahead and replace stator, if so could I have some instruction for replacing. I don't want to mess up more than I fix. My motor is 1973 ser.3618862 mercury thunder bolt 850. Not sure if placement of flywheel needs marked or proper procedure. Is there anything else that should be done during this process like timing belt, motor has sit for about 20 years. Thanks again.

M

Maxz695

Re: Stator wires bad all the way up

Set pointer to the flywheel timing mark on 0 TDC. Also mark the flywheel to be sure it goes back the same as it came off. Do not move the engine until the stator is replaced. Undo all the little bolts I think 1/2 inch and remove the flywheel. You don,t have to do this if you pull the hub and the flywheel together. The stator is exactly under the flywheel and there should be four bolts probably hex head holding it on. Pay attention to where the wires are facing and install the same way.

Kmyers

Seaman

I have already pull top off that shows all marks for firing and tdc but as long as its marked and motor not turned it is ok? And if I take the bunch of smaller bolt out will the flywheel come of for access or do I still have to pull the center nut which a gather you are calling the hub?

Capt Ken

Commander

Flywheel is notched and can't go but one way. Remove big nut, screw in special flywheel puller, and remove flywheel. Remove four bolts with 5/16 socket and left stator off. Just be sure the wires on the new stator point in the same direction before installing the screws.

Kmyers

Seaman

After looking at the $290.00 price tag on a stator couldn't I soldier two new wire onto the old stator

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do they just look bad? How do you know they are bad. If you cut it and splice it, you may just be introducing an extra point of resistance. I'm not sure I would replace it unless you know it's bad for sure.

Kmyers

Seaman

All of the protective coating is coming off yellow/red wires all the way to where it goes into the grommet i haven't pulled flywheel yet but if there is any good wire under flywheel could I soldier 2 new wires on

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here's the problem. You could try to solder it. I tried to do something similar on my wiring harness and the wire was so old that I couldn't get the solder to take on the wire. I had to end up just going with a crimp. Just wrap up with electrical tape and end the meantime, start saving up for a new one. Just my opinion.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went thru this on my 1978 850 this summer. ALL the wires on the engine were just about bare. Insulation had cracked and fallen off.

On the stator I cut the bare wires off to within two inches of the stator, Had to dig out/off the backlite stuff next to the stator, cleaned the bare wires with carb/brake spray cleaner. I wanted the solder joint small in diameter, so I sorta pushed, not twisted the new new 14 gauge wire into each other. I couldn't get the joint to take solder either. So I dug out my old flux paste from long ago, might have a little lead in it. Applied the flux then heated the joint with solder gun and used small .030" solder wire 30% lead and it worked. I then slid yellow shrink tube over the joint and the entire length of the repair (didn't have any yellow wire) heated that with hair dryer, DONE.

I had to do this with ALL the wires, even down to the engine coupler hub, Make sure you solder ALL the joints including the stacons. Give it a try can't lose anything, right?

Last edited:

Kmyers

Seaman

Thanks for the help everyone. I took off all the 5/16 bolts that let the fly wheel come off I marked position of flywheel to hub and that let me access stator and to see that the stator is a sealed assembly. But the wires felt pretty solid under all the brittle coating so cut off some and added some and soldered with heat shrink up as close to stator as possible. Have not been able to try out yet I still have carbs to rebuild fuel pump rebuild and water pump rebuild

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 3