Stator question

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Johnson GT 150 model # J150STLCOS Serial # J6130519. I'm trying to figure out if it has the 9 amp or the 35 amp stator. Is there any way to tell which, without pulling the flywheel?

Thanks in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stator question

I have a Johnson GT 150 model # J150STLCOS Serial # J6130519. I'm trying to figure out if it has the 9 amp or the 35 amp stator. Is there any way to tell which, without pulling the flywheel?

Thanks in advance.

Model number says it is 35 Amp. You have a water cooled regulator/rectifier on top of the block, to the rear of the flywheel, right?

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think so. I dont see any water lines going to the top of the block.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

That is a water cooled reg/rec. It sits down into the block and water is circulated through the block and around your reg/rec, there are no separate water lines for it.

Just replaced one on a Johnny 115.....not a fun job. Flywheel seized on and snapped a couple of the bolts on the reg/rec that needed to be burned out....as I said not fun.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water cooled rectifier/regulator:

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

Cool thanks. I think I'm having a stator problem. I can only get 4100 RPMs out of it before it starts cutting out. also when my battery is a little low when i hit the trim up button it will cut out as well.
I took it to a local boat mechanic who has just been changing parts. First one of the power packs then a timer base, I guess he doesn't check it after be cause he calls me and says we got her fixed. Both times I took it out and the same problem. I figure i can change parts cheaper than it costs for him to do the same. I'm no boat mechanic but i think i can change parts, eventually i will get it right.

daselbee

Commander

Regardless of the stator problem....

I think you should charge that battery fully, and then take it to a local auto parts store for a load check. You are describing the classic symptoms of a dying, failing battery.

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

Would a bad battery cause the motor to cut out at high rpms? I did charge the battery before i took it out last time and the motor was still cutting out a 4100, but would not cut out with the trim switch.

daselbee

Commander

Your battery is the source of a large amount of available CURRENT to operate the starter motor, the trim and tilt motor, and various accessories.

Classic symptoms of a bad battery are when a load is applied (trim tilt motor) the battery cannot keep up with the CURRENT demand from the trim tilt motor. The available current from the battery is not up to spec, and as a additional effect, the VOLTAGE will then drop off.

I just think you have two problems, stator and battery.

Doesn't cost a thing to load test at Auto Zone. That's how a load test is done; they put a tool on the battery, the tool loads it down, drawing huge amounts of current, and the tool looks to see that the voltage DOES NOT drop off....
A good battery can supply large amounts of current and still maintain 12v.

It is vaguely possible that as you draw CURRENT from the battery, which cannot supply it, the extra load placed on the stator to try to make up for the extra current, puts it into a condition known as saturation. This is not a boat term, it is an electrical term for when any coil has maximum current flowing in it. Once the stator goes into saturation, all bets are off on it's ability to provide power to the power pack. You don't know what the effect will be on the power coils on the stator and their ability to generate voltage and current to drive the pack.

Also, if you have a purple wire feeding the pack, (some systems do some don't) that is 12v. What are the effects on the pack if the voltage on that wire drops way below 12v?
I don't have the answer to that, but it is possible for the situation you describe to occur with both a bad battery and a bad stator.

If your battery tests good from the load test, that will be great. One less thing to worry about or replace.

Just my opinion.

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

Well i just had the battery tested at O'Rileys. They said it was good. The terminals are corroded though. So maybe that could mimic a bad battery.
Anyway, so you think I have a bad stator, too.

daselbee

Commander

Well i just had the battery tested at O'Rileys. They said it was good. The terminals are corroded though. So maybe that could mimic a bad battery.
Anyway, so you think I have a bad stator, too.

Don't know. Testing with a voltmeter is what I would do, AFTER I got all the corrosion off the terminals. Clean up all connections, battery terms, wire connections at the terminal block on the engine, etc. Everything must be shiny, EVEN the Ground connections. Tight and clean.

And yes, corrosion at the battery terminals will cause a voltage drop, and inability of the battery to supply current. You can detect this by feel. The high resistance corroded terminal will likely be hot when loaded, as in running the trim up, or starter turning the engine. It may even give a puff of smoke!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what is wrong with your motor, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the battery or charging system. It has separate charge coils for the ignition system. OK, so they are on the same stator as the battery charging coils. Replace the stator if you want to throw parts at it, but I'll be surprised if that fixes it. If it does fix it, you can be first in line to tell me I'm wrong.

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

I'm just at a point where i don't know what else to do. I have paid a Professional to change parts with no success. I just figured I would start at the top and work my way down until I replaced the right part. I really don't know what else to do. I can't see paying someone else to change parts. I have already spent enough to replace the whole ignition system myself.
I don't know what is wrong with it, but the stator seemed like a good place to start. I did notice one of the coils looks like it got hot at some point (could one bad coil cause these symptoms) I'm going to take apart and clean the carbs as soon as i get my service manual and carb kits.

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot to ask, when i clean the carbs what is the best fluid to soak them in, and do i need any special tools?

daselbee

Commander

What I keep coming back to is the statement that when he trims up, he can make the engine cut out...his words...why? I know the battery charging coils and the power coils are separate on the stator...but why would a load on the battery cause engine cut out?

Do you or do you not have a purple wire feeding the power packs? I don't have a wiring diagram for a 1985 150.

If so, what is the effect if the voltage at that wire drops to say 9v or so? Is the pack performance affected? When running, if I disconnect the purple wire (if it is there) and ground the pack side, thereby forcing 0v on that circuit, what will happen?

I bet no one knows for sure.

You have to get the electrical right first, clean terms, known good battery, and then start proper troubleshooting procedures which requires a voltmeter and DVA adapter. That is what I would do.

daselbee

Commander

One other thing...if I am wrong about switched +12v being applied to the packs when key on, please tell me.
I am sure I have read posts where a guy buys a new PP, and the wiring is different from the one he took off. The difference was explained as the new design of the electronics in the new packs don't require the +12v supply that the old ones needed.

Am I way off base, remembering it wrong??

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

Daselbee, You might as well be speaking Greek to me. I'm an old HVAC mechanic, I really know nothing about outboards. I'm pretty handy with electrical circuits, but i'm just not up to speed on these outboards. I don't know what is what yet.
Thanks for all the advice and info

firejunky

Seaman Apprentice

Oh Yea, when i charged the battery the trim would not cause the motor to cut out, just when the battery was low.

daselbee

Commander

Daselbee, You might as well be speaking Greek to me. I'm an old HVAC mechanic, I really know nothing about outboards. I'm pretty handy with electrical circuits, but i'm just not up to speed on these outboards. I don't know what is what yet.
Thanks for all the advice and info

Well, OK then. Good luck.