starting stored 115 merc

tracterman2

Cadet
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and have been looking around and really like what I see!! I'm a forum junkie...I've been on 67-72chevytrucks.com for the last 6 months restoring a C-10 that had setup for 15 years...she has 44,000 original miles on it...really enjoyed it. Well to get to my question...I'm an agri teacher and teach youth in our local cowboy church and have been wanting to get a bass boat to take the kids out on and fish...ski...what have you. Well I've found two boats that I can put together to get a good....don't laugh. :D kind of like my truck I see potential. One is a ranger with a shot Johnson on it..boats in great shape...as is trailer...probably pick them up for 800...the other is a cajun with if I remember correctly is a Merc 1150...It ran well 2 years ago according to owner...the boats have set under a shed for the last few years. The steering cable was froze when they went to the lake last and it got replaced and the boat never left the shed. They are both at a marine storage/shop. The carbs were redone/cleaned and the engine gone through/serviced two years ago...as stated earlier the engine hasn't been started in two years...so I'm wondering what is the best thing to put in the cylinders to keep from blowing the rings when I check compression and first try to start it. My truck sat for 15 years and I used reslone and gas mix and let it set a few days and would turn it by hand everyday...well this has only been two years...and is a two stroke...so what do you guys think?? should I pull the plugs and squirt something in there as a precaution?? I would like to check compression before I buy the cajun...I can get it for 500, has a brand new foot controlled minkota, new wheels, fish finder, and engine is tilt and trim...I think I can make money if all goes right. Just wondering about preservice before trying to crank it...it does have good compression from just turning the prop by hand...what do ya'll think of the possible purchase?? Any information is greatly appreciated...thanks!! sorry for being long winded.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: starting stored 115 merc

Just put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and turn by hand until smooth.

Also use the search feature to look up AWAKEN A SLEEPIN OUTBOARD.

Welcome to I BOATS.

tracterman2

Cadet

tried finding that thread and I found a thread that told another guy to go to it...says its no longer avaibable..maybe some folks will jump in and we'll get another one started...thanks though...wish I could get to that thread.

tracterman2

Cadet

Awsome thread!!...answered everything I needed to know. Okay, one last thing...I'm sure I probably can...but do you think I could check compression with it dry?? just by turning it over by hand...or should I put oil in it before as stated in that thread before checking compression?? I will NOT attempt to turn over by key until I have soaked rings with oil..but what about by hand for compression testing?? Thanks again for your help...don't you just love forums?? they are addictive. :D

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not think you will get accurate compression readings turning it over by hand. Wait until you have soaked the rings enough to loosen them and then remove all of the spark plugs, then you can do a compression test. If the boat has sat for two years you're probably going to need a new battery or at least a good recharging before it will be able to crank the engine fast enough to get good readings. Good luck with your project!