Starting procedure

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I was having troubles getting my 3.0L (89) started when i put it in the water, Bond-o gave me a starting procedure of pumping the gas 3 times then starting @ half throttle- works perfect every time, Thanks, so now when i shut off the boat and the motors hot im having troubles getting it to turn over right away, usally takes 4 or 5 seconds, was wondering if there was a trick for this situation as well??? thank you

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Starting procedure

im having troubles getting it to turn over right away, usally takes 4 or 5 seconds,
assuming you mean the starter engages but don't spin the engine over. to me, that sounds dangerously like hydrolock. water in the combustion chamber. i hope not.. to find out, pull the plugs and see if the stater spins the engine. watch for water exiting the sparkplug holes too.

sure hope i'm wrong..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

having troubles getting it to turn over right away,

Turning over, to us, means the starter is turning the crankshaft, but the engine is not actually running.

Assuming (and I hate to do that) that you mean it's actually turning over, but not starting and you have to crank the engine for 4 or 5 seconds to get it to start, and that you are still pumping the throttle a couple of times to start it, then you are probably flooding it.
With a warm engine, you should be able to start it by just giving it a little throttle, without pumping the throttle.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water out the sparks plugs??? are u ok? The motor runs 110% its starts on the trailer 110% now, turning over to me is the starter turning but the engine not running, thats what it does for 4 or 5 seconds as i try to start it warm in the water, i usally put to half throttle and turn, back off a little then it'll catch and start, if i give no gas itll turn and turn forever and not start, maybe ill just keep trying to figure it out trial and error before i get water coming out my spark plugs...lol Thanks

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You don't need all that throttle to start a warm/hot motor, should light right off at idle maybe 1/8th throttle if shes a bad idle'r.

ziggy

Admiral

Water out the sparks plugs??? are u ok?
i'm fine thankyou. your question was unclear to me...
turning over to me is the starter turning but the engine not running
yep, an engine that's being operated by a starter motor is doing just that, turning over.
im having troubles getting it to turn over right away
that statement indicated to me that it wouldn't turn over.

now that i understand what your question is. i'm with eveyone else. apply little to no throttle and no pumping action and turn the key when warm. it should fire right up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Water out the sparks plugs??? are u ok?

He asked a question, none of us here can see, hear, or feel how your engine runs.

maybe ill just keep trying to figure it out trial and error before i get water coming out my spark plugs...lol

Water was a possibility, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it can't happen.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, 1/8 throttle seems to get her to start warm but she still turns over for a second or two, and is a little sluggish when it does catch untill you rev it up, once you get it going it runs and idles beautifully, she is an older carbuerated motor, maybe im just being to picky???