Starting problem

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet
Just rebuilt carb and change spark plugs and change out the old gas. Know here the problem is when i go to start it sounds like it wants to start then it back fires or pops whatever you want to call it. Trying to fix before i deploy so any help would be nice. Thank you very much for anying advance.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting problem

Did this just start after simply changing plugs and rebuilding carb?

The backfire that you are hearing is usually due to a sheared flywheel key, a flywheel with melted (moved) center sensor magnets if they exist, timer base leads routed incorrectly to the powerpack, or having the leads from the powerpack to the coils reversed to mention a few. It is a backfire, like a shotgun going off correct, or is it more of a mild backfire, like spitting back. That usually indicates a lean carb. Will sticking 2 fingers into the carb throat cause the rpms to raise and the spitting to stop?

BTW, before we get too involved, what motor are we talking about here?

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

1984 johnson 35 hr. No that was not the problem before i did all that. Before i got no spark. But now that is fixed so here is another.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Might be best to explain from the beginning what the problem was with the spark, what you did to fix it, then it would be easier to address the issue you are having now as they could be related.

Try to locate the model number of your motor as well, it also makes it easier to track down things.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^^Agree, gonna need more background info

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

the original problem was, i just got it back on the water after about four months of not use it. so i took it out started up fine let it warm up for about 20 min the started to go down river not fast just going slowing then got down the river and fished for about an hr the started it up no problem started up river then gave it throttle and there was nothing no power at all just wouldn't get on plane and as soon as i could throttle down it died. got it started twice more the tried to put in gear and it would die. i will try i find the model number. cleaned gourds and replaced plugs. to fix the no spark.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok so going on what you mentioned earlier, you were losing spark one on or more cylinders??

What did you do to remedy that situation?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

when you put it away for 4 months , was it properly, fogged, fuel stabilized, etc.?

you mentioned spark loss prior, what was done to test this, resolve the matter?

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

cleaned gourds and replaced plugs. to fix the no spark. used the sprak tester from autozone. good spark now on both cyl.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what motor?????? if 2 cylinder, it sounds like you reverse the plug wires.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

yes check plug wires like tashasdaddy said..also make sure coil grounds are clean..also what plugs did you replace them with..were they champions....gapped at.030..

Al

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

yes the are champions gap at .030. got it to start for i second today then died. i found some numbers on the motor here they are j35elcts and e5798086. i am lost right know dont know were to go and they are the right plug wires i have them marked.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

thats the same motor I have...its a 1983I can look in the shop manual for u on anything

when u took the carb off did u undo the cam adjustment screw on the Carb lever on the side.....also when u forward the throttle does the butterfly open fully horizontal...

Al

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

what cam adjustment srecw. and yes the butterfly open full horizontal.
thats the same motor I have...its a 1983I can look in the shop manual for u on anything

when u took the carb off did u undo the cam adjustment screw on the Carb lever on the side.....also when u forward the throttle does the butterfly open fully horizontal...

Al

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Drake its a adjustment on the side of the carb where the linkage rods are....to adjust linkage to the cam follower which rides on the armature plate..the roller is dead center on top of carb..the plate is on carb above the choke solenoid

Al

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

just had it started for about 5 10 seconds then when i tried to bring the idle down it died. should i try and starting it in the water instead of by the bunny ears

johnny 30

Cadet

hello:
I had a similar problem with my 30hp,It was a faulty power pack,actually it was the wires going into the pp.Only firing on number 2 cylinder,did all the test leading to the pp,all showed good.Only until wiggling the wires leading into pp while my brother crank the engine over,we would get spark on number 1 cylinder.If you held the wires the right way,the motor would fire right up.The only thing we could come up with was 23 years (outboard is a 87) of heat and vibration killed the connection on the pp.We took a cable tie,bent the wires from the pp to where we got full spark, tied it off and drove the boat for 4 days until new pp arrived without any issues,some thing to try.
The timing issue with the cam follower and cam roller,you will need to make a throttle shaft amplifier.It is basically a rigid piece of wire long enough to go from the bottom of the carb and a inch or two over the flywheel and a alligator clip.Thread the wire through the clip and loop the wire back through the clip so it is straight in line with the clip.Take that amplifier clip and place it on the throttle shaft of the carb(between the carb and starter,move the butterfly by hand,you will see the throttle shaft moving)Place that clip on that shaft and make sure the wire is touching the flywheel and not a tooth, remove the throttle cable from the motor,move the throttle arm by hand.While moving the throttle watch the wire as it begins to move,make note where the cam roller is positioned on the cam follower(there will be two marks on the cam follower) the cam roller must be with in those two marks before the butterfly starts to open.If the butterfly opens to soon or to late your timing will be out.If the cam roller is not opening within those marks you will have to readjust (slot headed screw left hand side if facing carb).This can be a little tricky at times.Once that is completed you will have to check to see if throttle control rod is adjusted properly.Move the throttle arm to full throttle position,check to see if butterfly is completely open.If not you have to readjust the throttle rod(right hand side of motor if you are facing it, just under the flywheel)loosen the collar screw on that rod and move it in or out as needed, until butterfly is opened properly.

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

johnny30 i got good spark on both'll so thats were i am at am going to try that timing thing once i get the carb back on thanks