Starting problem, NO SPARK!!

bbgun24

Seaman
Hello all,

I have a 1990 4.3 L w/ Spitfire ignition:(. I just replaced the motor after having a cracked block and took it out last night for the first lake test drive. The boat ran perfect for about 20-30 minutes. I was making the last pass to head in so I decided to she what she could do, I started working up to full throttle and got to about 3/4 and it just shut off. Stopped dead in the water. I now have no spark. It was pretty late by the time I got back to ramp and really didnt get time to troubleshoot to much but just wondering if anyone has any ideas where to start?? I did not see any lose connections. Possibly the coil pack/ignition module?? Maybe the timing sensor?? It is the Spitfire ignition:( so Im not really sure where to start at this point. Thanks in advance.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting problem, NO SPARK!!

Howdy,

Well the first place I would look IS the "Module" (assuming you have power to it and have done the Service manual procedure for no spark)

Unfortunately, you may not be able to buy that module (and probably wouldn't want to because of the price) because it's not available anymore unless you find one collecting dust on a dealers shelf that is going out of business etc........

Your only replacement choice may be to get a different marine (MSD, Mercruiser, etc) distributor.

Sorry about that....

Rick

bbgun24

Seaman

Yup, I have voltage to the module and ground. I will check the timing sensor after work and see if Im getting voltage from there as well. If so then it looks to be the module. Bummer!!

bbgun24

Seaman

I think I have found the problem. This is the crankshaft sensor. The timing ring goes between the tabs and tells it when to fire. Looks like the center tab has been broken off?? But not really sure what it is suppose to look like. The diagrams are hard to tell if there are suppose to be 3 tabs or not. Anyone have any input?? Thanks.

Attachments

• Boat 004.jpg
    Boat 004.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 001.jpg
    Boat 001.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

By George I think you may have found it!!

That appears to be the "Sensor and Locator, Crankshaft, OMC # 986564

#11 below....

convert

I did a little searching around. (which you can do also btw)

and found the following, http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/omc/O-0986564.html

From Marine engine.com:
#11 ? 986564 ? SENSOR & LOCATOR, CRANKSHAFT (1 per engine)
Part replaced by OMC3853990
Unavailable
L/P 77.16
Unavailable
Unfortunately, you may have to go to a boat junkyard to find one unless you locate a dealer has one collecting dust on the back shelf........

It crosses to OMC 3853990 but it looks like that one is not available either.

I am kinda surprised that someone doesn't make some of these parts......this one was used on all the following models...

It's been said many times here.........sucks to have an OMC Spitfire ignition system.......:(

Regards,

Rick

bbgun24

Seaman

I just wanted to double check that the sensor and locater was suppose to have a full middle tab. Its kinda hard to tell from those diagrams. I talked to a couple dealers in town today and one guy told me to call Sea Way marine in Seattle(anyboday know anything about them??). I will call them on Tuesday and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I talked to a couple dealers in town today and one guy told me to call Sea Way marine in Seattle(anyboday know anything about them??). I will call them on Tuesday and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

Sea Way Marine.......

http://www.seawaymarine.com/pages/CustomPage/Index/4354

Never heard of them though....

If they have a bunch of new (old-stock) parts they might have one.

The part is considered N/A by all the other OMC suppliers.....and for that matter, if your ignition module fails you cannot get that either.

About your only choice is to switch to an after market electronic dist or an earlier model points type distributor.....but if you do that you'll have to go back to the OMC ESA too or you will have problems shifting out of gear...... That'll mean a complete rewire of the engine harness...

I wish I could tell you something different......

Sorry about that.

Rick