Starting issues

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been experincing intermitent starting issues. I have a 2.3L mercruiser 140hp 1973. It starts up great and runs great. But after about an hour of playing around on the tube or wakeboard or just riding around in general it has trouble starting. If I set floating with the engine off for more then ten or fifteen minutes and then go to start it no go. I have to set either wide open and crank it and crank till she starts going. I think that it maybe getting flooded but how would I stop that. If I shut it of to get someone on a tube or board then go to start no problem.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting issues

Vapor lock probably....gas bubbles its way out of the bowl in the carb and into the intake. Now the bowl is dry and engine flooded...have to crack to pump fuel back into the bowl and you have to over come the flooding. Mine does the same thing. One thing that helped me was I would raise the cover on the engine and let the heat out while we were out in a cove swimming. Seemed to start better after that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try letting the engine idle for a minute or so when you get ready to anchor. This allows the engine to cool a bit before shutting down and lessens the chance of vapor lock. As as mentioned, opening the hatch also helps.

Ambler13

Cadet

I have the same issue with my 78 Sea Ray I/O. When I have tried to start the engine up again after letting a tuber on or off, the engine has trouble turning over. When I finally get it to start, it wants to sputter out and die so I need to rev it just to keep it going. I'm to the point where I have gotten a ldder to board on the side of the boat so there is nobody near the outdirive.
(safety precaution)

From my symptoms, is this also a vapor lock? Any other ways to prevent this?

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great I thought that it might be my bowl float seetings. I will try to let it idle a minute before I shut down. Thanks everyone. I will let you know what if this helps. I may also try moving my fule line this might help to right?