starting an electromatic

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,

I am new to this type of motor/control... I am most familiar with 1955-1957 mechanical transmission... I have a 1965 starflite 90s... I put the throttle in the start position... flicked the electric choke twice and turned the key... after a short bit it fired and idled... I pressed the "F" and got the prop moving... tried to throttle up but it felt resistant... I looked for some button/release/safety, but saw none... I am not one to force things, but I applied a bit more pressure.. The throttle moved forward and made a clicking sound (like a ratchet)... The engine speed increased... I throttled back and the engine did not seem to be slowing, so I shut down the key... After a few seconds, I attempted again, but when I turned the key... nothing. I checked the throttle position and it was in "start" range. The Neutral button was depressed.... What am I doing wrong?... The previous owner said the battery was low... I placed it on a charger... What tips can you give me to correct this? Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: starting an electromatic

there is a safety, if the throttle is pushed too far forward you get nothing. i believe there is a knob you can turn to adjust the tension on the control handle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

there is a safety, if the throttle is pushed too far forward you get nothing. i believe there is a knob you can turn to adjust the tension on the control handle.

It is a "Selectric Shift" control, not an Electramatic.

You may have a broken throttle cable. Check at the motor and see if it moves when you operate the remote control. If it isn't pulling the motor back to slow speed position, it won't start.

As you move the control lever forward there is a "bump" feel at a certain position. That is the start position. It should not start at higher settings.

The ratchety feel is the friction device that makes is stay put when you take your hand off. A knob on the bottom of the control adjusts the amount of friction to suit your desires.

The knob on the forward end controls the speed that it idles with the lever pulled all the way back.

The push buttons have a lockout that prevents them from being pushed at too high a throttle setting.

Now that you know all the easy stuff, if everything isn't adjusted properly, it will give problems. That is another subject.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you both very much for the information. I checked the throttle cable and it is moving nicely... I see that the battery was WAY low... I put a charger on it and I have not seen any progress in hours... could be bad. I have a back up to try.. Question.. with the charger cables on the battery... should it behave as though I have power? with the charger on, I turned the key and still got nothing. I will look for that "bump" position too... As I pull back, I hit a "stop" for idle...

Thanks again guys!

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

replaced battery... no change... definitely in neutral, throttle tried in several different spots... Nothing. no sound at all.. what would be a good trouble shooting step? Is there a fuse that could have blown? Thanks, Tom

F_R

Supreme Mariner

replaced battery... no change... definitely in neutral, throttle tried in several different spots... Nothing. no sound at all.. what would be a good trouble shooting step? Is there a fuse that could have blown? Thanks, Tom

Yes, there is a fuse. If memory serves correctly the fuse holder is by the ignition switch.

Disconnect the throttle cable at the motor and put the motor in full slow position and see of it will crank.

If neither of those solves the problem, you use a voltmeter to locate the trouble. A wiring diagram and some knowledge of how it works goes a long way here.

The other option is to start replacing parts till you get lucky. Not a good option.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks FR...

Any idea where I could get such a diagram? I have a friend that is a master electrician... Perhaps he can teach me how to use the meter properly.

Thanks again,

Tom

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's like my 1970 electric shift 115hp, there's a micro-switch on the aft of the throttle lever back on the motor. If the cam on the throttle lever isn't adjusted to that switch, you'll get no power to the starter. The manual says to disconnect the cable from the bottom of the engine throttle lever, then adjust start and idle, etc. Then, after that's all set. Put your control throttle lever in "start" position (mine has two arrows that line up, with the word "start" next to one) and use the thumbwheel adjuster where the cable is attached to the engine cowling to line up the cable fitting with the engine throttle lever.

riverfisherman

Recruit

I have a 69 85 horse and when I picked the boat up it had a no crank problem. I repaired the fuse holder and replaced the fuse on the back of the engine right by the block that all the wires go on to. fixed my problem. hope this helps