Starting 1963 evinrude starflite 75hp.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I'm starting the engine on my recently purchased boat, 17' traveler with 1963 evinrude 75393 starflite.

I connect the flusher, see the pic1. Once running, WHERE should the water spit out in pic3?

In pic2 is that little slit the water intake? Or is it that hard to see hole in top left corner where its dark?
If it's not spraying, the impeller is buster right?

Attachments

• 2011-07-22 15.22.50.jpg
    2011-07-22 15.22.50.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-22 15.23.20.jpg
    2011-07-22 15.23.20.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-07-22 15.23.28.jpg
    2011-07-22 15.23.28.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Starting 1963 evinrude starflite 75hp.

Can anybody just tell me how to tell if my water pump and impellar are working??

Any help would be really appreciated, i'm trying to go out on the boat tomorrow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's not the proper place for the flusher or the proper flusher. Find a big garbage can, fill it with water and put the mtr in it. It may pump if the water pump is not already damaged. It needs a special flushing attachment that goes underneath the anti-vent plate towards the back. Or else take it to the lake and see if it pumps.

big daddy 6679

Recruit

That's not the proper place for the flusher or the proper flusher. Find a big garbage can, fill it with water and put the mtr in it. It may pump if the water pump is not already damaged. It needs a special flushing attachment that goes underneath the anti-vent plate towards the back. Or else take it to the lake and see if it pumps.

there is a special attachment that goes in the rear of the lower unit that will then attatch to garden hose. the hoes hook up you have is what they call ear muffs and will not work on that engine. also, looks like you have a different lower unit on that engine. did it come off of a johnson? that envinrude is the strongest running engine I have ever seen. good luck.

big daddy 6679

Recruit

there is a special attachment that goes in the rear of the lower unit that will then attatch to garden hose. the hoes hook up you have is what they call ear muffs and will not work on that engine. also, looks like you have a different lower unit on that engine. did it come off of a johnson? that envinrude is the strongest running engine I have ever seen. good luck.
also, the water will not come out the "pee hole" cause there is not one on that engine. the exhaust hole in the rear of the middle section is where the water comes out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That exhaust hole is just a spitter. The water exiting there will be at about 140*F when the thermostat is open and the waterpump working right. There is no good way to tell if she is pumping well. Put your hand on the head and see how hot it gets. If you can keep your hand on a few seconds, it is likely OK.

Check the plugs. If they look green she is overheating.

The main water intake is a grating behind the prop, under the antiventilation plate. You have the flusher on the water intake for reverse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As everybody has already said, that is not the correct flusher. And even if it were, you cannot tell if a water pump is working when a flusher is attached, because the hose pressure will push water through the system. It would go through even if you completely removed the pump impeller.

So, short story is, launch the boat. Or at least put it in a large tank, and deep enough.

FYI, that motor has a thermostatically controlled, recirculating cooling system. The pump sends water to and through the powerhead, and then the water is presented to the thermostat. If the stat says it is too cold, it directs the water back to the pump, which sends it back to the powerhead for another pass-through and another presentation to the stat.

This continues till the stat says it is warm enough, then it is discharged and replaced with new lake water, and the process continues.

All this to say that the amount of discharged water comes and goes according to the state of the thermostat. There should always be some spray, and it will increase if the stat is open. Note that the stat is constantly sampling the temperature and opening and closing as reuired to maintain correct temp. It is not a simple matter of opening when it warms up and staying open.

Whew, I'm tired after typing all that.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys for the recent attempts to help... I sold the boat a week ago :)
And now playing with volvo aq170c

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, bought and sold in a single month? And I thought I was indecisive LOL