Starter?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just finished up winterizing my Evinrude 48 Special. Ran into a bit of a issue though... After I fogged it, I tried turning it over and realized that the starter was spinning, but having a hard time catching onto the flywheel to spin it around (this didn't exactly happen overnight). I looked at the top gear looking part of the starter and saw it was a bit worn down. Could that metal gear-looking piece be replaced, or do I need to buy a whole new starter?

Also, I forgot to put stabilizer in the tank before this? Probably only 2 gallons in the plastic tank, but more worried about the untreated gas inside the motor. Need to get this problem fixed fast. Big deal or no big deal?

M

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Starter?

That part is called a bendix and yes it can be replaced. But first make sure your starter is turning fast enough. Bad or dirty connections or a weak battery all can cause that problem and is much more common.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmm. That could be a possibility. It does see those that that piece is slipping on top...turning plenty...but just slipping/rubbing up against the flywheel. Is that part terribly expensive/hard to fix?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And I would re-winterize it with stabilizer in the fuel.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right, definitely would want to re-winterize.

I read the thread you linked over to me; but it actually seems like the starter has no problem coming on and turning...it does that, but you can actually see and hear it rubbing up against the flywheel, grinding up against it and not catching. Think it is that piece that needs to be replaced in this case. The boat is actually now in my folks' garage a few hours away...wont be there for another week or two so I have to take my best guess and order the part relatively soon if I need it.