Starter won't engage when cold

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
1980 Evin 115

Time to do some winter fishing but to get going in the morning, I have to pull the cover, raise the starter gear and then try to start the motor. Course it is a pain as this old beast never starts on the first try so I have to keep going back and raise the gear again until it gets going. Then the cover goes back on and I head out.

I'll troll for 3 hours on my kicker and when I go to start it up, I have no issues.

Is this normally a physical issue with the starter (I have a spare I can try) or an electrical issue (and the cold just makes it worse).

I have recently re done the battery side connections as I replaced the battery. but have not touched the starter side.

It really does seem to be cold related as it works fine in the summer.

It is about 5C or about 40F around here right now but I do plan to fish at below freezing temps.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starter won't engage when cold

might want to try lubing that with some silicone based lube. the cold preventing the bendix from engaging the engine, hence it just sits in the disengaged position when cold, and works after the engine heats up. The heat gets the old crud lube going.

I'd try that first.

T

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

might want to try lubing that with some silicone based lube. the cold preventing the bendix from engaging the engine, hence it just sits in the disengaged position when cold, and works after the engine heats up. The heat gets the old crud lube going.

I'd try that first.

T

Agree. If it was me, I would spray some WD-40 (or solvent) between the shaft and the bendix first to wash out the old crap. (best to do this with the stater off and inverted to prevent the crud from washing down into the upper bushing) Then put in some light lube and reinstall. ...... or swap in your spare, but make sure the shaft and bendix are clean and lubed first.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I'll try that.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend again. other then giving it a quick flick of the starter, it's kinda hard to test it in the driveway as my water is shut off for the winter.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Pull the lanyard, you just need to test the starter, not actually start the motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree. If it was me, I would spray some WD-40 (or solvent) between the shaft and the bendix first to wash out the old crap. (best to do this with the stater off and inverted to prevent the crud from washing down into the upper bushing) Then put in some light lube and reinstall. ...... or swap in your spare, but make sure the shaft and bendix are clean and lubed first.

WD40 would be a good idea, but remember that isn't a lubricant, so once you use that, get an airgun and blow that out so it doesn't displace the good lube.

Tim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the recommendation on cleaning the bendix, can easily kill a starter. any liguid, can short out the starter. to lube the bendix 2 to 3 drop of a light oil, like 3 n 1 oil. that is all. you do not want it to run down into the starter.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

the recommendation on cleaning the bendix, can easily kill a starter. any liguid, can short out the starter. to lube the bendix 2 to 3 drop of a light oil, like 3 n 1 oil. that is all. you do not want it to run down into the starter.

good call on that, I would take it off, and turn it upside down to ensure it doesn't run into the starter itself.

T

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'd try that first.

T

Actually, this guy did recommend taking the starter off and inverting it.

WD40 would be a good idea, but remember that isn't a lubricant, so once you use that, get an airgun and blow that out so it doesn't displace the good lube.

Tim

I agree with all since it starts fine after it warms up.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Okay okay. I get it. It needs cleaning ;)

At least I've ruled out a funky spring or something so the fix will be cheap. And I don't have to use the spare one just yet.

Edit: Cuz I don't think it's worth the bump.

Cleaned up as instructed and it works great. Thanks for the advice.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

possibly have a battery that does not hold a charge for very long. Have it load tested, and as above, make sure all connections are clean and tight.