starter solinoid questions

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so i was looking up some parts and found out that the solinoid i have now that appears to be new is actually from a mercury. SIERRA PART NUMBER 18-5836. does it matter for my 1963 evinrude 40 hp big twin?

the motor it came off was a 64 johnson but once i tore apart the lower unit ( electric shift) the whole harness inside the motor was caught on fire. so i am not liking these parts i seem to be finding that arent omc/johnny/evinrude parts.

also i have a voltage regulater that might not be the one i need. it has a big black top casing, about 3 inches tall and about 4 inches long not sure if its the correct one or not.. the part number should be 381538. as i look threw diagrams it looks rto be correct but when i search that part number i get a prestolite one that seems to be smaller in all aspects ..

please help..

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: starter solinoid questions

If you are in fact sure it is an 18-5836, it will work in your '63 Evinrude, assuming it physically fits in place. But you are wise to question it because there are look-alikes that are internally different and will instantly destroy the safety switch the first time you turn the key.

As for the voltage regulator, everybody tries to put car regulators on those things. Seldom, if ever, correct. There are two main types of generators, internally grounded field and externally grounded field. They require a matching regulator. Even if you are lucky enough to get that correct, the OMC system uses a 10 amp regulator. No car that I know of is only 10 amps. A regulator set at higher amps can burn up the generator armature. BTW, the OMC regulator is made by Autolite/Prestolite. But Prestolite also makes regulators for umpteen different cars and trucks.

Now about that internal shift cable: Even when new, they would burn up if the insulator sleeve wasn't on it. They would also burn up if the water pump wasn't working. In both cases it is because hot exhaust would blow on it with no water cooling. Add to that problem, most of them are now just plain rotted out from old age. And worse, are NLA.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, be careful. When it comes to wiring up a starter and voltage regulator, outboard applications are much different than automotive.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is what the part number bring up as a regulator,

gpb%20en-06-05-008sdf.jpg

but this is the one i have,

381538.jpg

do i have the correct one??

it apprears to be a ford voltage regulator. can anyone tell me if this ia the right one or not

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

A non OMC regulator that does work is the one for the 12 V 10 amp Harley Davidsons. I bought one off of ebay but then later found an original, so never did get around to hooking it up. Was going to use it on my '57 Javelin.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my question is can the one i have wor or is it the wrong one?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A Ford regulator will NOT work. I already told you why not. As for looks, there must be at least a hundred regulators that look just like it. I don't know where you got those pictures, but neither one looks like an OMC regulator.

Here is a drawing.

Attachments

• junction box view.jpg
    junction box view.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the bottom picture is from maxrules.com for there regulator and the top one is form ebay stating that its the prestolite regulator for the outboard.

i know that a car one will no work, i am tring to find out what one i do have so i dont mess things up. F_R, do you havethe proper part number for the regulator??

i seem to be going nowhere with this.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also maxrules said that any 10 amp 12 v negative ground regulator will work. i am unsure of this but since he knows more than i do , i would trust he would send me in the right direction. I dont want anything but what is supose to be there. i want it doen right or not at all . if it comes down to it, i just wont run my generator and just use the elctric start like it was ment to be without it.

i would like the generator so i can charge my battery since i will be running a fish finder and trolling mottor on my boat.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The part number is 377001, replaced by 381538.
It is still available.
You may want to re-think your plans. The 10 amp generator is fine for keeping the starting battery charged for normal loads (the shift coils, nav lights, etc.) that you would have found in 1963, but it will not keep a battery charged for running a trolling motor for an extended period of time. It will help things out some, but it doesn't put out enough to rapidly charge a battery
Your best bet may be to have a deep cycle to run the trolling motor off of and charge it up manually before you go out, and keep the rest on the other battery that is charged by the motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont know if it is superseeded or not, but the number I have is 377001

EDIT: txwhaler got it

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my 63 is all manual controls no shift solinoids or anything to that effect .. the only things that i wanted to run off that 1 battery were my nav lights only on for night use, fish finder. and i am thinking of that deep cycle battery for the trolling motor already and charging manually

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well to be on the safe side i guess i will just buy a new one since i am unaware where these parts came from.. save some time and effort aND who even knows if they work properly anyways. well thanks for all the help guys ..

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The previous replies are correct, the number is 377001, superceeded by 381538. The pictures you posted are some artists rendition,not actual photographs. That's why they are meaningless. I have no idea if you have the correct regulator. You can tell be trying it to see if it works.

I do not recommend trying to run without it. You have electric clutches in that motor. Low voltage from a partially discharged battery may cause them to slip and the result will be $$expensive$$. A dead battery will mean NO drive at all, dead in the water, even though the engine will run.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Didn't he say his mtr was manual shift and just wanted to charge the battery ?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

His '64 Johnson is electric shift, but all his other motors are manual. I think he wants to run it with his '63 Big Twin to keep his battery charged.

Hey extremefisher1, I just got a 64 Johnson 40, this weekend, but mine is a plain ol' RD model. :D

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya mine is just a plain old manual shift, i want to add the generator that i have from a rkl-26s so i can charge my battery instead of recharging every night when not in the water.

hey zephyr i have that power head lol..

so all i am asking is will the one i have work properly? there are no numbers on it at all anywhere.. but to be safe i will just order one from brp to make sure it works they way its supose to without any hiccups.