Starter problems

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently rebuilt a 1960 75 horsepower Johnson super seahorse. Pistons rings seals gaskets. Everything. Started it up a few weeks ago for the first time but I did not have time to adjust the carburetor. Ran for about 10 minutes. Came back today to start it and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. I also couldn't pull the hand starter. Removed the hand starter and turned the flywheel by hand. It had seemed to be stuck. Loosened it by hand and now it turns the engine although it's still kind of stiff. Hooked the electric starter up and it is still working so hard that I smoked a ground wire. Any idea why the engine would be so stiff although it had started right up previously?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps water leaked into the motor ?----How did you line up connecting rod caps when you torqued them ?

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I aligned them using a dental pic to ensure they were flush and then torqued them to spec.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am not there to inspect.---So I have to ask / prod for information.------Any oil / water in the gearcase ?

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just pumped a bit more oil in from the bottom of the gear paint case. No water came out the top. I also just removed the exhaust port covers. Looks like there could be a small amount of water at the bottom of the exhaust port plenum. I can see the crank and the rods. They still appear to look as they did when I assembled the engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----water is heavier than oil.----If there was water in the gear case it would come out the drain hole first.----If water came out the top it would indicate problems for sure.----What exhaust covers and how many of them did you remove so that you could see the crank and rods ?

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No water out of either holes. Oil looked clear not milky. The motor has four covers. I took two of them off one upper one lower. The other side would involve me removing the generator

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well those are intake covers.---Those 4 are NOT exhaust covers.----The exhaust cover is at the back in between the cylinder heads.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday when I removed the exhaust Port covers I saw a very small amount of clear liquid that did not seem to mix with the residual engine exhaust residue in the port. They were very small drops. And only a bit. I assumed it was water. Upon inspection late last night I thought it may have been the Sea foam that I had sprayed into the cylinder bores prior. I sprayed seafoam into my test tank barrel that had some oil in it yet and they did not readily mix. Also the spark plugs do not look like they have been "washed". They still have residue on them. I appreciate all of your input.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry----You have to be very clear in the description of your parts.-- Exhaust covers or intake covers are totally different.-----I am not there to see what you are doing.----I could overhaul that motor without a glance at a repair manual.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, trying to do this while working 70 hours a week. They are the intake port covers.