Starter issue

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I'm having a starter issue. It spins but does not engage. I took it off the outboard cleaned it out checked the brushes and put it back together still does not work spins but does not engage. I changed the batteries all day. And even left the booster pack on when cranking it over. I tryed to bench test it and same thing happens. I have to starters and both do the same thing. I should have loads of power. Any ideas ?

kbait

Commander
If polarity reversed (battery hooked up backwards), it will spin (wrong direction), and never lift to engage flywheel. If that's not it, can you manually lift the starter gear while turning it? - NOT connected to battery for this test. If you can't manually lift it, the gear may be stuck to shaft and need lube..

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a rude 120 hp. Polarity is good. And I could move the little gear befor I cleaned it. When I cleaned it a added a little lube to it thinking it might help.

rothfm

Ensign
You said you tried 2 (two) Starters, and multiple batteries with same results. Are your battery cables in common with all that? Marginal, corroded, broke cables can and will, do what you describe. Most times you cannot see any issues with them.

Try this. Clean all connections shiny, ensure the grounds are absolutely clean, and any Star-washers that bite into clean metal, in place....Next, ensure you have a good battery and full charge-Dont assume. Then try jumping the starter directly by Batt (-) to Block, and touching Plus (+) to main lug on the starter--Using known good Cables.

Post results.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply I will give it a shot in the morning and post my findings.