Starter engages when you connect battery

bag007

Seaman
1993 48hp spl Evinrude... When I connect the motor to the battery the starter engages... the key isnt even in the ignition. is this likely to be the starter solenoid ??? I took the ignition switch off and same thing... or is it related to the bad ignition module I removed awaiting a new one to be delivered...... I connected the battery to tilt the motor to check a slight leak on the trim tilt...

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter engages when you connect battery

It is possible that it is related to the module. The solenoid could also be stuck in the start position. If you replace the solenoid be sure you get one that is OMC compatible and do not buy any that are for a car. The starter will not work if it is for a car. Have you checked to make sure you have no loose wires touching anything in the ignition system?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

It is possible that it is related to the module. The solenoid could also be stuck in the start position. If you replace the solenoid be sure you get one that is OMC compatible and do not buy any that are for a car. The starter will not work if it is for a car. Have you checked to make sure you have no loose wires touching anything in the ignition system?

I realize I'm not even close to being a Rocket Scientist and there are tons of things I have yet to learn, but could you please explain to me why a car solenoid wouldn't work for a boat solenoid. I must be missing something... I totally understand how a starter solenoid works and it really isn't anything but a simple relay that carries huge amounts of current to start any engine via a simple low current volt supplied via the key...:confused:

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A car solenoid is wired differently internally. A car solenoid uses the base for the ground while a marine solenoid uses a terminal.

bag007

Seaman

Yep I will replace it with a marine... evilrude ( as am am now calling this motor) solenoid...

bag007

Seaman

I have checked through out the motor for loose wires .... cannot find any....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Likely the starter solenoid. When they get old, the tips get burned with carbon and the contacts can actually get stuck together. When this happens, the starter will continue to spin, even with the key off. Likely a new solenoid will fix the problem. A car solenoid does not have the protection that a marine solenoid does. The marine solenoid is also wired to the neutral start switch in the control box, so it won't start when the engine is in gear.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

an easy check would be to test continuity between the 2 power leads without the coil being activated.

classiccat

evilrude ( as am am now calling this motor)

...call it what you want but whatever you do, please don't paint it black...someone may mistake it for a merc :lol:

bag007

Seaman

LOL bluefin...... I wont paint it black ......... BTW question to test continuity do you mean across the back of the solenoid?? Ie the red power and the one from the coils to the solenoid??

bag007

Seaman

Ok... Boobie advised me to tap the solenoid once.... I did and it appears to have worked.... its no longer spinning the starter as I connect the battery leads and it cranks from the key and stops cranking too... I cannot wait for the new ignition module so i get the motor running for the weekend !!

classiccat

LOL bluefin...... I wont paint it black ......... BTW question to test continuity do you mean across the back of the solenoid?? Ie the red power and the one from the coils to the solenoid??

I was referring to continuity between the big lugs (Battery lug & starter motor lug) with the battery disconnected. It was latched shut for reason(s) stated above and it sounds like you banged-it loose.
solenoid.jpg

If however it was open (with battery disconnected) yet still spinning the starter when the battery was connected, then something was activating the coil (i.e. bad wiring, bad switch, etc.). To troubleshoot that situation, it would be a good idea to disconnect the starter.

I once had a switch that decided to quit being momentary resulting in a fried starter.

bag007

Seaman

Thanks for the explaination Bluefin it is really helpful... I have saved the picture too !

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Edit.............

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As said above, when you replace the solenoid make sure it's for Marine use, not automotive.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Next time it sticks or welds the round copper washer to the energize the starter be prepared to disconnect the battery underload before your starter burns up and you hope there are no gas fumes as its arcing . It might act ok for a while as movable contact /washer can spin to get newer contact surface thats not pitted enough to stick/weld togther .

bag007

Seaman

Thanks Jimbo... I am going to replace along with the new ignition module that finally arrived yesterday evening....