Started the 1948 Scott-Atwater!!

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought some fresh gas and oil (mixed 24:1) for the 1948 Scott-Atwater this morning and set it up on a "stand". This is the motor my Dad had setting in his back room for years. It had been many years since we started it.

I pushed in the choke and started pulling. It popped a few times and when I set the throttle half-way it fired up. It ran pretty smooth for not being tuned or run for so long. At higher speeds it ran a little rough but not bad. I'm sure the carb needs a rebuild and needs new points. Amazing how it was so forgotten about and still runs well. The kids loved it. After it warmed up it started on one pull. :)

Can't wait to get it tuned and hook it up on the Sea King. :D

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/coolness407/?action=view&current=1948Scott-Atwater.mp4

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Started the 1948 Scott-Atwater!!

You may want to determine how well the water pump is working , probably no pee indicator and the impeller could be brittle by now. Would be a shame to over-heat her now.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw a post about the gas/oil mixture on iboats referring to a Scott-Atwater and the ratio was 24:1. :) If anyone knows if it's different please let me know.

I'm going to take it to the "professionals" and let them replace the impeller and rebuild the carb, tune it up, etc. Hope it doesn't cost too much.... :eek:

Sure was fun getting it fired up!!

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Be careful which "professionals" you take it to. Most won't know anything about motors this old and will have no idea where to get parts.

I strongly recommend if you desire to keep and run this motor to check out the AOMCI. We're all like you in that we enjoy running the old motors.

http://www.aomci.org/

Most of us do our own work but if you choose not to you can find someone to help you out the AOMCI website.

Have fun with your toy!

Bob G.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hope you had the foot in some water when you cranked it up. Check the impeller.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes - I had the foot in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a hose running into it, up as high as I could. It looked like it was pumping just fine. :)

I will pull the bottom off and check the impeller when I get the motor back to Virginia. I will probably take the carb apart and clean it. I'm sure the points also need adjusting along with a new spark plug. It's not far from running like a new one. :D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Good...then take Scottie out for a run and catch some fish with your boy.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was planning on bringing the Scott-Atwater home to Virginia today but it will have to wait until the end of September.

My wife and I are driving up to New York State to pick up some items and the motor will make the trip. :) I hope to have the 12' Sea King completed before that. Can't wait to tune it up and take it out for a ride....

Autotech1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

16 or 24:1 would have been a requirement back the using 30W motor oil. Any modern 2 cycle oil should be good at 40 or 50:1.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Autotech!! It's going to be a fun project (s) getting the Sea King and the motor completed. I wish I had more history on the motor.... previous owners, etc. I'd say that $5 at a yard sale was a great deal. Thanks Dad. :)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

40 or 50:1 is too lean...I wouldn't go past 24 or 32:1 even with TCW-3 modern oil, if you want to keep that old Scott alive and running. But then I don't like to paddle.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The mix I ran in the S/A was at 24:1 and it didn't really smoke too much. Hardy at all for that matter. Must be it is running pretty well at ratio. I think I will continue with the 24:1 ratio for safety's sake. Thanks TMC....

Last edited:

imported_Skippy

Seaman Apprentice

Comment: purged for not agreeing with the elders

Last edited:

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

16 or 24:1 would have been a requirement back the using 30W motor oil. Any modern 2 cycle oil should be good at 40 or 50:1.

Sorry to disagree. Most motors up through the late forties (and some later) did not use roller bearings or bearing seals. Therefore more oil is needed. Modern oils are fine, even synthetics, but one must adhere to the original fuel oil ratio.

The motors from this era will run very well on leaner mixtures, but their life span will be drastically reduced.

Bob

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Skippy,

Where did you find your Scott-Atwater? Very cool you have a '48!! Any pics?

I haven't looked for a paint match yet. I've heard there is a close match in Rustoleum. I'm going to paint the middle band silver; I believe that is original. I also need a handle for the throttle lever and a new grip for the tiller handle.

Does your motor have the decals? Mine are either painted over or missing. I believe they were painted over because the whole motor is green.... Haven't found replacements yet, even on a couple S/A sites. Any tips on Carb rebuilding, etc? Have you replaced or adjusted the points? I hear it could be a bear to remove the flywheel. Need a puller.

Have you had yours on a boat? And if so, how fast does it run? ;)

Bob - Thanks for the excellent advice. Don't want to ruin a fine old antique...

Autotech1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the edumacation. My experience is with 2 stoke air cooled equipment. Figured they would run a tad leaner considering the water cooling, my bad. So 24:1 is OK for a vintage water cooled motor?

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Autotech - I saw the 24:1 ratio somewhere on a post in iboats. :)

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for the edumacation. My experience is with 2 stoke air cooled equipment. Figured they would run a tad leaner considering the water cooling, my bad. So 24:1 is OK for a vintage water cooled motor?

No Problem.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I do have a small (10 or so) collection of '40's and '50's Johnsons and Mercs. It's a fun hobby. But I've seen a share of motors getting trashed by not getting enough oil, and it's sad.

Someone finds a neat motor at a yard sale, or decides to get Grampa's old motor out to run. They aren't sure how much oil to use, so they go to a marina and ask. The techs there, not fimiliar with the older stuff usually give the blanket answer "you can run'em all on 50:1 with the new oils". So the "new" owners fuel them up with 50:1 and have a blast for maybe a summer or so, only to discover their motors worn out and shot. Of course a trip back to the marina gets the response "it's old and worn out, you need a new motor". :mad::(

Truth is these old relics will last almost forever with proper care and correct amount of oil. Here the antique outboard guys have differing opinions, but generally one is safe with any TCW3 rated oil, even synthetics. But one should stick to the ratio recommended by the manufacturer at the time that motor was new. They do smoke a little more, as well as foul plugs a little more. But that's how they were when new too. Engine (and oil) design was still in it's infancy then.

This website is a great source of general knowledge. But I still recommend checking out the Auntique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI) if you really want to press one of these old motors into service. It's a wonderful resource, with collectors (who have gained extensive knowledge on specific motors) more than willing to help out. They've been a great help for me for parts and advice.

Coolness, have fun with your motor and I wish you the best of luck. :)

By the way, here's a website you can use to get advice/parts for your motor.

http://web.a-znet.com/~scottguy/

Bob

imported_Skippy

Seaman Apprentice

Comment: purged for not agreeing with the elders

Attachments

• 19487 scott 483 -120.jpg
    19487 scott 483 -120.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: