Starflite interchangeability question....

McAdam

Cadet
I searched, no defenite answer. I have a 1964 or maybe 68 90S. Its on a 17ft Crestliner explorer. I can never remember if its the boat thats the 64 and engine thats the 68 or vice versa.....<br /><br /><br />anyway....<br /><br />My lower unit is shot. needs new clutch hubs and springs and all that fun stuff. not cheap. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 100S with a holed piston for cheap. Will lower unit parts interchange between the 90S and 100S? would I be better off just rebuilding the 100S and using the 90S for parts? <br /><br />If it helps to determine the year of my motor (90s), it has that really funky side draft 4 barrel carb that no one stocks parts for, lol!! <br /><br /><br />last but not least, and I dont really NEED an answer on this, but it would be interesting...<br /><br />Anyone ever MegaSquirted any of these old 2 strokes? MEGASQUIRT page, incase you are unfamiliar....<br /><br />THANKS!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Starflite interchangeability question....

The old 90s were '64 and '65. Check the transom clamp for a model number on a name plate. Should be V4M(L)-10 or -11. 10 being '64 and 11 is '65.<br /><br />I'm no expert on those but I think the lower units will exchange no problem. I am certain, however, that someone who does know will be along shortly. :) <br /><br />Don't forget those things need to run BRP "Premium Blend" oil and not the standard, thick outboard gearcase oil.<br /><br />I like the idea of the MegaSquirt - first time I read about it. But it seems to use a oxygen sensor for A/F ratio feedback, which isn't going to work in any 2-stroke due to the oil. But if you can set it up with a straight fuel-map... :)

McAdam

Cadet

Thanks for the info on the gearcases! as well as the info on the year of my motor, lol!!! 1964 is right then. My uncle calls the motor "the Woodtick" because of the shape of the cover. I think I will buy the motor anyway, never hurts to have spares for these old tanks.<br /><br />on the megasuirt..... Im pretty sure you dont need the O2 sensor. Megasquirt runs on a MAP (manifold absolute pressure)based system, or an Alpha N (throttle position/rpm) system. there are even people out there writing code for it (open platform) to run a Mass Airflow Flow sensor with it, in which case you would just set your a/f ratio and be done with it! <br /><br />Either way you do it, you can make your own VE tables and even spark tables now as well. it really is a nice set-up.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

If the splines on the top of the driveshaft are the same the unit will bolt up, provided you you are talking about the long shaft (20") versions. I don't believe the 100 was avialable in a 15" model. Mounting hardware might be different, studs vs. bolts, but all the holes should line up.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The exhaust housing, and gearcase on the 100 is intirely different. They won't interchange.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The gearcase was different but the mid sections of these engines were the same, not counting the inner exhaust tube.