Starcraft SS160 resto

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft SS160 resto

Lookin good, making good progress on the deconstruction. Best to get it all done now than only doing part of the work only to have to do it again later. You will feel a lot more confident going out on the water when completed knowing that you visually inspected and or repaired the boat and know it inside and out. Good luck on the project.

InMotion

Commander

Lookin good man!!! It is great to get that mess out of there! Yikes!!

Nice to see it mucho clean!!

Jim

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kind of got sidetracked the past few days with family stuff, football and bad weather. I did get the transom out, all the snaps/plates/accessories off the gunwales and pressure washed the interior. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

I picked up 4 of these at on sale at Cabelass7_022584_326_01.jpg

The quality and feel seems great for the price. 42$ each and I had a $20off coupon as well.

My latest plans
The wife isn't too fond of the blue interior, everything that was blue is now going to be gray. The gunwales look like swiss cheese so they are getting carpet and I'm going to cut off the braces extending back from the windshield. They get in the way when fishing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a new bulkhead bent up to replace the existing one that is torn and has a bunch of holes in the top. I might shorten the splash well area a few inches while I'm at it.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Go with marine vinyl on the gunwales as opposed to carpet. It'll look much sharper.

barato2

Commander

+1 on EZ's suggestion. but put alum patches on larger holes so you don't accidentally poke through the vinyl

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the vinyl idea. I am considering vinyl for the floor as well.

Here is my question-
The floor is 60" wide & gunwales are 6" wide each = 72". Nautolex is 72" wide. Can I cut the floor piece exactly 60" and just staple the edges to keep it from curling. The trim will hide the staples and help hold it down, or does the vinyl need to be wrapped around the plywood floor. I don't want to buy more vinyl than necessary.

barato2

Commander

i think this would work OK, but hopefully others who know what they're talking about will chime in.

if you glue the vinyl down well at the edges, you may not even need the staples....trim helps clamp it down. if you do use staples, be sure to get Monel ones....rust stains would be a bummer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't wrap mine. There's pretty much stuff around the whole perimeter holding it down. Where there isn't, a little flat stock can easily be added. Check out mine http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2529.jpg you can see where I added some flat under the consoles. I figured I'd be dragging my feet over that edge so I better add some mechanical fastening. That being said, I have vinyl glued down in a number of places with nothing mechanical holding it in place and I've had no peeling. Used the Nautolex adhesive.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't wrap mine. There's pretty much stuff around the whole perimeter holding it down. Where there isn't, a little flat stock can easily be added. Check out mine http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2529.jpg you can see where I added some flat under the consoles. I figured I'd be dragging my feet over that edge so I better add some mechanical fastening. That being said, I have vinyl glued down in a number of places with nothing mechanical holding it in place and I've had no peeling. Used the Nautolex adhesive.

Can you put this down with regular outdoor carpet adhesive?

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starting to think about building hatches for the deck up front. I am concerned about using piano hinges due to the fact that I would be screwing into the edge of plywood. Is there another way of doing it? I don't want surface mount hinges.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can you put this down with regular outdoor carpet adhesive?

I used the $$$ Nautolex adhesive. I ran out with about 95% of the job done. Finished up with some of the cheap Roberts 5700 carpet adhesive from Home Depot. Seems to have worked fine and seemed like a somewhat similar glue.

Starting to think about building hatches for the deck up front. I am concerned about using piano hinges due to the fact that I would be screwing into the edge of plywood. Is there another way of doing it? I don't want surface mount hinges.

Get offset hinges like these Off Set Aluminum Hinge 13 1/2 Inch

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. That's where I got mine from. Can't beat the price. Aluminum is just fine for me on my aluminum boat!

barato2

Commander

thanx for that link, EZ. i was looking at their other stuff and if i'd known about their consoles, i never would have tried to build one from scratch....lots nicer AND cheaper than the Todd consoles from D~~~~~~~

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I flipped the hull over tonight and started scraping some crud off the bottom and ran into a problem. 56 rivets were bad. By bad I mean the heads either disintegrated or popped off when I hit them with the putty knife.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

on the bright side, its easier than drilling them out!

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know if I should get the 0.25" or 0.375 max grip length rivets for replacing the bad ones on the bottom? I assume they are 3/16" diameter. Should I stick with 3/16" or go up to 1/4" dia? The 1/4" have the steel mandrel with might bleed rust.

barato2

Commander

your hull skin is maybe .080"(?) and i suspect keel/strakes/ribswill be made from roughly same so just figure it from how many thicknesses of aluminum you're riveting at each joint. 56 is more than a box, so maybe some of each? NO NO NO no steel cored rivets...rust stains are the least of your worries, it's the holes that will be eaten in your hull by the galvanic corrosion. first the rivet will rot away and then the hole. no bueno. i think the 3/16 will be fine. i actually found that the stringers were attached to ribs with 5/32" rivets in my Holiner 18, so 3/16 was a slight upsize.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found some more and got them all drilled out. Somewhere around 80. Going to replace them and then glu-vit the seams. Glad I bought an air-riveter.