Starcraft hull parts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Maybe, just maybe, if you can get through to corporate, they might sell you one.

And maybe they will start making a 21' Aluminum center console again too. Or possibly a Chieftain Mark.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to the info from reelfisin! I've got two end caps on the way to me.
The seat and other stamped sheetmetal are not sold as repair parts but all bolt on parts are.
My boat does not have a rub strip so I didn't ask about that.
The procedure for getting parts is to contact a major dealer and the parts can be drop shipped directly to the end user.

I also found out according to my serial number that the boat was sold as a split bench seat, the original set up had two inserts where the seat ends are cut.
Those are not available as they were dealer cut and dealer supplied. As was the original floor. What it amounts to is that the original seat end caps were most likely tossed when the floor was added. The original seat end caps attached to the ribs not the deck.
So it looks like I'm looking at fabricating something better for the seat ends for now.
(I've also been considering tossing the wood floor panel in favor of aluminum diamond plate with an aluminum lower support).

The part numbers for the cast aluminum end caps are as follows:

Port side:[FONT=&quot] 31200513[/FONT]

Starboard side: [FONT=&quot]31200514[/FONT]

They fit boats from the 1950's to current models.

I knew a company as large as Starcraft had to have some sort of parts availability, they just don't have any dealers anywhere near NJ.
The closest dealer I found was 120 miles west of me. I've got no clue as to why or how the dealers listed locally got on their webpage because three of the four locations are nothing but marshland or woods. The fourth didn't stock or hasn't stocked anything Starcraft or aluminum in decades.

What I didn't realize was that the current Starcraft company is a subsidiary of Smoker Craft, not the other way around, yet they are still apparently owned by the family who started Starcraft in the early 1900's.

I just wish there was a dealer close by. What I find odd is that there's a ton of used Starcraft boats here, they're everywhere but no one knows where they came from.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
What I find odd is that there's a ton of used Starcraft boats here, they're everywhere but no one knows where they came from.

Thats easy, the dealers that were, are no longer.
Some dealers that were, don't carry the same brands anymore.

This will happen over a 50 years time span, and multiple corporate owners that produce 20 different boat lines.

I only hope that Starcraft can turn it around and start producing boats that people want to buy again.

jbcurt00

Staff member
When you get the parts, and get the final total, please post that info. In the Starcraft forum, someone jumped thru the hoops Starcraft and the dealer gave them to get oem rubrail. The bill ended up radically different then what was expected or given at the time the order was 'placed'. so until you get the end caps, its not a done deal. Hopefully it goes smooth and ya get them at the price you were quoted.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What I find odd is that there's a ton of used Starcraft boats here, they're everywhere but no one knows where they came from.

Thats easy, the dealers that were, are no longer.
Some dealers that were, don't carry the same brands anymore.

This will happen over a 50 years time span, and multiple corporate owners that produce 20 different boat lines.

I only hope that Starcraft can turn it around and start producing boats that people want to buy again.

The boats I'm dealing with are still made, and have been for over 50 years, with barely any changes?
The boats I don't like are anything with poured in foam in an aluminum hull. Every one I've ever laid eyes on was waterlogged with a rotten aluminum hull.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck with that link, when I put in my ZIP not a single one of the dealers in a 100 mile radius of me was a dealer, two of the locations never existed, they're open patches of woods or marshland, or open bay front. Another address lead me to a field in the middle of the woods in MD with a fenced in yard full of old boats, none of which appear to have seen water in 20+ years. No building, no sign, no driveway, nothing but a rusted out old mailbox on a pole with a faded address.
The last one was a dealer but they don't sell Starcraft and no one there remembered them ever having the franchise. They also said they NEVER sold small aluminum boats, and they've been there since the 50's. I had stopped at various other dealers figuring someone would point me to a former dealer but they all pointed me to one particular dealer north of me about 110 miles, when I called that dealer they denied ever selling or dealing with Starcraft yet a dozen or more other dealers all said they were the Starcraft dealer in the area. None of the older literature I found from that dealer mentioned anything about Starcraft.

I did notice that if I use my zip I get one list of 'dealers' and if I use an adjacent zip, 10 miles down the road, I get a completely different list, all with the same area search. I think their dealer search is broken or confused somehow, or they entered 40 year old info into the computer somehow.

One major issue I see is that even if I wanted to buy a brand new 14SF tomorrow, I have no clue where to go other than drive 110 miles to Maryland to find an active dealer who apparently stocks small boats.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When you get the parts, and get the final total, please post that info. In the Starcraft forum, someone jumped thru the hoops Starcraft and the dealer gave them to get OEM rub rail. The bill ended up radically different then what was expected or given at the time the order was 'placed'. so until you get the end caps, its not a done deal. Hopefully it goes smooth and ya get them at the price you were quoted.

I should have the parts by the end of this week, I'm not sure how they can screw up the price? I was quoted one price via Starcraft for each casting, then when I called the dealer as instructed, was told that price was for a pair, not each. He had one side in stock, but since they've had a few running changes to those caps over the years, I want a matching set, so I opted to wait till the second one was in hand. I paid via Credit card by phone, they charged me just under $8 shipping.
For two corner caps, and four rod holders. I didn't break a $100 bill. I was sort of figuring on $175 or so but it came out to be far less.
The dealer had the left side cap but had to order the right side, he gave me the option of either him mailing me the one he had, and having the second one drop shipped, or to just wait till he had both in hand and he'd sent both together from the dealer. I figured I'd wait for the dealer to get both and send them both to me as a matched pair. (He's ordering a few for stock so it should guaranty me getting to that match. I didn't ask about rub rail but from past experience, I never, ever thought about going to a dealer for rub rail insert, I always ordered by spec from one of three or four sources, mainly due to cost. The only rub rail insert I never seen available was the super high profile rail used in the 70's on the Starcraft Capri and American models, but rarely is that stuff ever even damaged.

As far as my order, unless the dealer never sees the second cap, I doubt I'll have any issues, and from the sound of things from the dealer, none of the parts are uncommon. What does seem to be uncommon is dealers themselves.

I'm pretty much assuming that Starcraft must have some crazy dealer requirements or inventory requirements otherwise there would be more dealers.
If a dealer could carry only the small aluminum fishing boats, they'd do good here, but the bigger stuff would never move.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just realized that I never followed up here. I got the parts needed from Starcraft.
All parts were correct and arrived as promised.
For the life of me though I'll never figure out why there's not more dealers, especially in NJ, a state that borders water on nearly all sides.
If they put the effort into selling and supporting their product here that Lowe and Tracker does, I'm sure they would outsell all others.
Most of the dealers that 'used to have' Starcraft were dealers that used to have a lot of brands but have moved on over and over.
Maybe once an area is saturated with a good product it just don't pay to stick around? There's a lot of Starcraft boats here but no one can remember where the dealer was or where they came from. I find it hard to believe that they all were bought 200 miles from here.