Starcraft Garage B&S. (boat and other stuff to talk about)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Happy Saturday, gentlemen. I figured I'd move my post over here since its not real relevant to my Chieftain thread.
So, getting way ahead of myself, I've been thinking on my next project. The 18' Chieftain is a great boat, but I never use the cabin and would love more deck space. So I'm kinda keeping my eye out for a 22' v5 hull with a notched transom. Layout doesn't matter as I'd be gutting it and rebuilding a non-starcraft design. This is probably a few years off but if I find that hull at a reasonable price it could be sooner.
I'm putting this out there because I'd love some feedback on the design plan. My basic inspiration is the west coast hardtop:

wMIVZwR.jpg

xJ9kpaT.jpg

2Zn2VnR.jpg

Not sure if I'd go for the full Alaskan bulkhead or a rear drop curtain. I'm thinking 1/2" marine ply with glass and epoxy and Wynne windows (or polycarbonate with trim).

Pros: big cockpit, lots of fishing space.
Plenty of seating and room under the top.
Walk-through windshield. Great bow access.
Never need to replace/worry about canvas top.
Heatable with a diesel or vented propane unit.
Bench seats can form bunk across cabin for camping.

Cons: helm is very far forward, I'd need suspension seats.
Visibility not great sitting low in the bow, but not terrible.
???

I've also been researching Tolman skiffs, but that's a huge time and money commitment. And I can't afford a welded hull. The Tolman is still a possibility, but that would be a full pilothouse and several years of work. I've been following elkhunter's build on the fishyfish site...that thing is beautiful and he's getting close to splashing it I think.

The simplest, fastest, and cheapest route is to find a neglected v5 . I'd love to get any feedback from you guys, especially if you've spent any time on one of these no frills "blood and guts" boats. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey g0ne - I see you use Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Give SBR Sweet Vidalia Onion a try. Mmmmmm, good.

I know it's personal taste - Sweet Baby Ray's is about the best off the shelf BBQ sauces.

I see you drink imported beer. But that stuff! :eek: LOL

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I like your plan. Chem.

Using a 22' V5, I think you would want to keep weight down because she could end up top heavy. A possible choice for cabin siding material is what the RV builders use for the sides, stuff like Filon siding. It can be laminated with 1/8" or 1/4" Luan and installed over an aluminum frame.

Planning ideas, ya know. :D

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Hey g0ne - I see you use Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Give SBR Sweet Vidalia Onion a try. Mmmmmm, good.

I know it's personal taste - Sweet Baby Ray's is about the best off the shelf BBQ sauces.

I see you drink imported beer. But that stuff! :eek: LOL

I love me some sweet baby ray's! Ill give the onion one a try next. And the only reason for the bud is my corner store hasnt been stocked with heiny's in a can for awhile and im tired of bottles. Bud isnt too bad once in awhile though.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I like your plan. Chem.

Using a 22' V5, I think you would want to keep weight down because she could end up top heavy. A possible choice for cabin siding material is what the RV builders use for the sides, stuff like Filon siding. It can be laminated with 1/8" or 1/4" Luan and installed over an aluminum frame.

Planning ideas, ya know. :D
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm going to do some research on this stuff. You're right about the weight. Laminated structural foam is another option on a minimal wood frame.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Chem. Great idea you have fir the V5. Take a look at Hewes craft boats. They have a great design like one you showed with a little smaller cabin. My brother has one and loves it.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Chem. Great idea you have fir the V5. Take a look at Hewes craft boats. They have a great design like one you showed with a little smaller cabin. My brother has one and loves it.
The Hewescraft Ocean Pro was the one that got me thinking on this design. Ditching the cuddy gives you so much more open deck plus good bow access. I'm researching vacuum bagged laminated structural foam. It's very light and strong when encased in epoxy and glass.
Nice Pic there chem...

Saw -28C or about -20F Sat morning.... coldest by far this winter.... hopefully thats it and spring is here soon!

Jim

I hope you're right Jim! We did get off pretty easy overall this year, so one of these bitter stretches is OK after last winter.

I think we had the same system here, about -15? F on Saturday night. Car batteries no likey.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A great first day day on the water 2016, Banks Lake was like glass and my little SeaNymph got us on some Walleye a mile off shore in 55' of water. Only 9 small ones that weren't pic worthy and a couple big perch. It was a misty cool morning to start out with some haze that looked surreal.

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG2043_1.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
id love to boat somewhere with those views! The best Ive seen was when I lived in hawaii and had a friend with an offshore boat. The views of the Island while trolling around as the sun came up was awesome! The phone I had all them pics on are long gone probably.

Actually I know its gone. My daughter dropped it out of the stroller along Waikiki. Used the app to trace it to some homeless dudes at a shower. they wouldnt fess up and I didnt have time to wait for police.

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
All this talk about being on the water and cold temps etc, I thought I'd show you all pics of my accommodations the last few nights. This was a winter survival course in northern Saskatchewan.
The raised platforms formed "super shelters" that were covered with tarp, reflective Mylar blanket and poly, the boughs are the bed. Quite warm sleeping by the fire. The snow mound in back was hollowed about to form a Quinzee, basically a cave dug into the snow with the entrance below the sleeping shelf to create a cold well. Also quite warm to sleep in, but not as comfortable as the super shelters.

Watermann

Uh yeah I've had enough winter for this season... it was 60f here yesterday and all that snow we got is gone now except where it was plowed up.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Happy Saturday, gentlemen. I figured I'd move my post over here since its not real relevant to my Chieftain thread.
So, getting way ahead of myself, I've been thinking on my next project. The 18' Chieftain is a great boat, but I never use the cabin and would love more deck space. So I'm kinda keeping my eye out for a 22' v5 hull with a notched transom. Layout doesn't matter as I'd be gutting it and rebuilding a non-starcraft design.

Pros: big cockpit, lots of fishing space.
Plenty of seating and room under the top.
Walk-through windshield. Great bow access.
Never need to replace/worry about canvas top.
Heatable with a diesel or vented propane unit.
Bench seats can form bunk across cabin for camping.

Cons: helm is very far forward, I'd need suspension seats.
Visibility not great sitting low in the bow, but not terrible.
???

I've also been researching Tolman skiffs, but that's a huge time and money commitment. And I can't afford a welded hull. The Tolman is still a possibility, but that would be a full pilothouse and several years of work. I've been following elkhunter's build on the fishyfish site...that thing is beautiful and he's getting close to splashing it I think.

The simplest, fastest, and cheapest route is to find a neglected v5 . I'd love to get any feedback from you guys, especially if you've spent any time on one of these no frills "blood and guts" boats. Thanks!

I have a dependency on form that is often seen in a downeast boat but I know a guy on Champlain with a Hewes. He likes it because it is big and conducive to recreational events while fishing. That does have benefits.
Hard tops have so many advantages - I like the ability to sleep out of dew, rain, and mosquitos. But that's my needs.

dozerII

Admiral
Haven't updated the RR progress for a while. Took it all apart for final welding on the frame, then final assembly. I put a little pressure on myself and schedualed the government inspection for the end of March. :eek: I'm hoping to have my first test drive in a couple weeks;)
Here's a little video walk around of this last weeks progress.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks great Glen

Shoe in for the Starmada Tow Rig of the Year 2016 ;)

GoPro mount for the ride along test drive?

Watermann

That's a ton of work you've accomplished, I can't wait to see the finished rod!