Starcraft Chieftain Shifter ID

sextondm

Seaman Apprentice
Boat is a '74 Starcraft Chieftain, with the original inline six and MC1 drive. I pulled the shifter out and took some pictures of it to see if I can figure out how to adjust it/how it works.
From full throttle to full reverse is well over 180 degrees of travel, and three detents between forward/reverse which makes it really difficult to shift/dock the boat slowly and carefully, plus I'm pretty sure it's not original to my boat.
I've looked at pictures of other fellow Starcraft Chieftain owners on here, and the shifter is definitely different.
Anyone know how to and if I can adjust out some of the throw of this thing to make it easier to shift? And if not, where I can find a more correct one.
Thanks!

Attachments

• ThrottleShifter2.jpg
    ThrottleShifter2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ThrottleShifter1.jpg
    ThrottleShifter1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ThrottleShifter3.jpg
    ThrottleShifter3.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ThrottleShifter4.jpg
    ThrottleShifter4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starcraft Chieftain Shifter ID

Boat is a '74 Starcraft Chieftain, with the original inline six and MC1 drive. I pulled the shifter out and took some pictures of it to see if I can figure out how to adjust it/how it works.
From full throttle to full reverse is well over 180 degrees of travel, and three detents between forward/reverse which makes it really difficult to shift/dock the boat slowly and carefully, plus I'm pretty sure it's not original to my boat.
I've looked at pictures of other fellow Starcraft Chieftain owners on here, and the shifter is definitely different.
Anyone know how to and if I can adjust out some of the throw of this thing to make it easier to shift? And if not, where I can find a more correct one.
Thanks!

Ayuh,.... It looks like the ole Morse controllers that have been in every ole tin Starcraft of that vintage I've junked out....

Ya see 'em on ebay occasionally,...

'bout Any new side-mount could be installed...

Never tried to adjust 'em,...
Mine still works, loosely, but well...

As far as the full forward, or full reverse,.... I hope ya ain't needin' 'em for Dockin'....