STARBUCKS-IRAQ POSITION?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer
HERES A CHAIN LETTER, IS IT LEGIT? FOR WHAT ITS WORTH!From:Dan Dilley<br />To: <br />Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 8:54 AM<br />Subject: Fw: Starbucks<br /><br /> Recently Marines over in Iraq serving this country in OIF wrote to<br /> Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their<br /> coffee and also to try to score some free coffee. Starbucks wrote back<br /> telling the Marines thanks very much for their appreciation for their<br /> product, but that they do not support this war or those in it and<br /> furthermore that they would not be sending them any coffee.<br /> <br /> Well, so as not to offend them by making any rude remarks concerning their<br /> loyalty or their politics, we should therefore deny them our hard earned<br /> dollars by not buying their coffee and other Starbucks products. As a war<br /> vet, I am writing to you patriots. I feel we should get this out in the<br /> open. I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that<br /> doesn't mean we can't stand up for and offer our support to the boys on<br /> the ground fighting street to street and house to house for what they<br /> think is right and just. If you feel the same as I do, then please pass<br /> this along,or you can simply discard it..Thanks very much for your<br /> support. I know that you'll all be there for me once again when I deploy<br /> shortly for another tour.<br /> <br /> Semper Fidelis,<br /> <br /> Sgt Howard C. Wright<br /> 1st Force Recon Co<br /> 1st Plt PLT RTO

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: STARBUCKS-IRAQ POSITION?

Search <br />Urban Legends and Folklore<br /> Starbucks Statement on Refusal to Donate Coffee to U.S. Marines <br /> <br />Response to Internet rumor <br /><br />Thank you for taking the time to contact Starbucks regarding coffee donations to those serving in our armed forces. <br /><br />Starbucks has the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel. We are extremely grateful to the men and women who serve stateside or overseas. We sincerely appreciate that they are willing to risk their lives to protect Americans and our values of freedom and democracy. While Starbucks as a company cannot directly donate to military personnel, many of our partners (employees) show their support by donating coffee. <br /><br />Recently, there was an e-mail circulating the internet that contained misinformation about Starbucks and our support of the military. Starbucks was able to locate the author who turned out to be a Marine Sergeant. He was very grateful that we contacted him and apologized for any misunderstanding, as he did not intend to spread the rumor. He subsequently sent an e-mail to his original distribution list correcting his mistake, which I've included at the end of this e-mail. <br /><br />I would like to take this opportunity to clarify Starbucks policy regarding charitable contributions. We are able to donate to nonprofit organizations that are designated as public charities under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code, including public libraries and schools. The U.S. military or individual military personnel do not qualify as a public charity. <br /><br />However, on an individual level, many Starbucks partners have collected and shipped numerous pounds of Starbucks coffee overseas. Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations. <br /><br />As an example of this generosity, our partners in our Atascadero, California store sent their weekly mark out coffee to troops in Afghanistan so they are able to enjoy a little piece of home. Our customer relations department in Seattle donated hundreds of pounds of coffee to the sailors in the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group. These are just a few examples of our partners supporting the troops. We recognize and appreciate the very personal connection that customers have with us and how they might miss their Starbucks Experience while overseas. <br /><br />Thank you again for writing and ask you to accept our deepest appreciation to servicemen and women and hope you remain a valued Starbucks customer. If you have any additional feedback or would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us at (800) 235-2883 or email us at info@starbucks.com. <br /><br />Sincerely, <br />David Campbell <br />Customer Relations <br />Starbucks Coffee Company

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

spratt, thanks/ i sent your info back to the sender who sent it to me.

spratt

Lieutenant

No prob, dude!! Working in IT, I see a TON of these things come through, so I try to keep up with the truth and lies...some are not really lies, like this one, it was just taken out of context. I fyou read teh website, you seen where the Marine who sent the email out actually wrote Starbucks and apologized!! He was just misinformed...

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spratt<br />I heard the CEO of Starbucks say on the radio the same thing. And it has been the individual store manager policy to give free coffee to soldiers in uniform.<br />Some jerk got P/O ed, at one of the stores and decides to start the rumor.

spratt

Lieutenant

Yep, CC, and that is all it takes sometimes to ruin someones reputation...if we believe it, and sometimes ti is hard to beat that ruined rep...<br /><br />Kudos to the Marine for straightening it out tho!!!