Stalling Volvo

montyburns1

Recruit
Hi all, I bought a 96 Campion last year with a 3.0 Volvo/Penta last year. The engine starts and idles fine. When I open it up on the lake, the engine stalls suddenly. The motor will turn over and will restart in a couple of minutes. This happens over and over and gets worse. I brought it to a local boat shop last year and he replaced the distributor cap, module and put in a carb kit. He said he couldn't duplicate the problem but also said he didn't have the right attachment for my leg for his wet tank. So I put it in the water again and same thing happens. This year, I assume that I have a fuel problem. I checked the main filter and find debris and crap in the filter bowl. I removed and cleaned the fuel tank and changed the filters. Exact problem happens again. I'm not sure what to troubleshoot any longer. I forgot to mention that the temp gauge on idle is around 150 and never stalls. I wished I would have noticed exact temp just before it stalls but I didn't notice anything unusual as I scan the gauges regularly. From reading some of the other posts, is it possible that I have a faulty oil pressure sensor? Bad thermostat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stalling Volvo

You probably have all the crap in the carb too. You can change filters all day long, but it's not going to clean out the carb.
Get it rebuilt and install a water seperating fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump and it will probably fix your problems.