Stalling question 5.0 MC 0M012817 Carb

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings everyone.... The engine in question is a 2000 5.0 0M012817 Carb with a
Bravo 3. Boat is running awesome but the last few days on the first start of the day its starts perfectly and I let it warm up a couple of minuites, but then I shift it into reverse, clicks right in but as soon as I try to give it "slight" throttle it stalls. And for the first time yesterday it stalled in the forward postion when I tried to apply throttle.
Once it warms up it NEVER acts up for the rest of the day.
One other thing, yesterday, in anticipation (of stalling) while I was in neutral I tried to give it a couple of quick revs, but it seems to have a flat spot for a milasecond then fine.

Thanks so much for your time............Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stalling question 5.0 MC 0M012817 Carb

When was the last FULL tuneup? Including compression check, timing check, carb adjustment check, fuel filter check, etc.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, Mercruiser carb just rebuilt two weeks ago, plugs, cap and rotor 6 weeks ago, wires about seven months, fuel/water seperator one month ago and it was clear gas. In the year I've owned the boat I have not checked timing or had a compression test done.
Rick

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

Has any one checked the choke setting? If its not closing properly that could be the cause.

Given that the carb has been worked on recently its posible an adjustment maybe needed. Its sometimes hard to get that setting perfect in the shop as it may require some trial and error while monitoring cold start performance(s).

Last edited:

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has any one checked the choke setting? If its not closing properly that could be the cause.

Given that the carb has been worked on recently its posible an adjustment maybe needed. Its sometimes hard to get that setting perfect in the shop as it may require some trial and error while monitoring cold start performance(s).

Carb shuts and leaves a 3/8 inch opening. I believe that when it closed tight I was getting black soot exhaust and running rough and thats why I openened it..
Thanks for you help....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's also why it is bogging. DO NOT do NOT make this adjustment on a warm engine. On a stone-cold engine, open the throttle slightly and note the choke position. It should just barely close. If it doesn't, set it so it does. Start the engine and the choke pull-off should open the choke partially. If it doesn't the pull-off is bad/disconnected. That would account for sooty exhaust when cold. As the engine warms the choke should continue to open until the plate is perfectly vertical. If the carb was rebuilt by a shop and you inistalled it, then the idle mixture also needs adjusting.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks will do this in the morning.....Really appreciate your help...
Rick

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip, thanks so much I found that I did not go back and retorque the carb after I installed it, it was not tight...... the choke and accelerator pump working just fine.....

Thanks again, sorry so long to post this, gone most of today..
Rick