spun prop

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spun the prop on 87 blackmax 175hp

protester 24

Can I fix this myself? looking to get a new prop as a spare. any thoughts?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: spun prop

Your local prop shop has the press and fixtures as well as an assortment of hubs, to rehub your prop.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Spun the prop on 87 blackmax 175hp

protester 24

Can I fix this myself? looking to get a new prop as a spare. any thoughts?

Did you start the season off by finding out you have a spun hub?

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope. The season here never ends. I fish 12 months out of the year. I hit a somthing. Might have been wood but not sure. All seemed well and I never came off plane. About 1 mile later she let loose. Just as if it shifted into N.
after that boat would idle and put put along. Soon as I tried to get on plane it would be like shifting into N again.
Can I find a new hub and repeair myself?

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

well put on a new stainless steel prop from this site. It is 24 pitch like the old one that has a bad hub.
The boat now runs but the hole shot is gone. All I can figure is the new prop is not cupped like the old one.
The blade are narrower and flater than before.

Also noted that with old prop 5000 RPM = 50 MPH. new prop 5000 RPM = 56 MPH And total RPM seems to be less.

what do you the prop experts here say? I have no clue.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

WOT RPM should be more like 5600 to 6000, 5000 is too low, overworking/overloading your motor.

Yes, prop blade design even with the same pitch can make a great difference in RPM and speed.

Holeshot can be improved by 'venting' the prop hub, but first you need to select a prop that allows your motor to run at a more comfortable RPM.

Before returning/exchanging that prop, check your tune up, WOT Timing, clean carbs, fresh plugs, good quality fuel, and motor mounting height on the boat to ensure your tune and set up are maximized for the boat, only then should you begin prop selection as a poor tune or too much gearcase in the water will negatively effect prop performance.