Spun prop hub... ( I think)

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I havn't posted in a long while ,pretty much since i rebuilt my little 3.0 L GM back in May. But Sunday I finally had my 1st break down, Just me in the boat about 10 miles from the launch ramp, went to get up on plan and past 2800 rpms the motor reved up wildly!!! Tried it a couple times same thing. Finally got it to bite and left her at a blazing 1300 rpms!!! It was a long hot ride in the mid 900 degree florida sun. <br /><br />I brought the prop to local marina on monday and he has to send it to the prop shop but he was pretty sure the hub did spin. My question to him was what size prop i have since it never really let me rev up to WOT range.. max wot has been ~4100 rpms with just me. <br /><br />I'm going to have them repair this prop and the prop people will beable to tell me what size i have but anyone have any idea what size prop i should have on this boat. WOT should be between 4400-4800 rpms i belive.. <br /><br />Boat/Motor specs<br /><br />Fresh 3.0 liter 135 hp mercruiser GM <br />Alpha 1 drive with alum prop<br />1989 Ebbtide 170 montego(SP?) <br />16.5 foot lenght<br />Not sure on weight. <br /><br />BTW im thinking of getting a 4 blade in S.S. eventually but right now money is the issue so it will be alum.. Ideas on proper pitch , dia for that. <br /><br />Thanks again, <br /><br />Big-E

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spun prop hub... ( I think)

Suonds like a spun hub.....There is a new forum on prop. questions, ya might wanna take it over there.....JK

Bondo

Staff member

Get the Next Smaller prop........<br /><br />2"s Less Pitch........

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, didnt see there was a prop board.. I will move it there.. Thanks Bondo, will try a 2" less pitch prop. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

jaybirdtx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The most widely used prop for these are 14 1/4 X 19 or 21. 3 or 4 blade. Solas makes a good replacement prop. available online or thru Southern Marine Supply. Runs about $350-400 for stainless 4 blade.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind that other problems might also give the same type symptoms...like a spun engine coupler. You should be able to readily determine if you spun the prop hub, it would be rounded off and look a little ground, may be cracked.