Sproinnggg!

whitenoize

Cadet
It began innocently enough my starter rope broke on my 1971 4hp johnson.I backed out the center retaining bolt and watched the recoil spring explode from its casing.Good news: I have the rope secured in the pulley.Bad News: I havent a clue as to how im going to rewind 4 1/2 feet of spring and re-assemble the starter.Does anybody have a parts blow up/Break down for the starter assy?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Sproinnggg!

"You'll put your eye out kid!"<br /><br />Luckly you suffered no damage. All kidding aside, recoil starter springs can be dangerous to say the least. I'll not bore you with the 'Get a manual' drill, but it would come in handy, right about now.<br /><br />Finding the parts blowup is the easy part. The procedure to rewind the spring is what you need. I'll see if I can retype the steps shortly, unless someone else has them already set to go, for ya.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Xcusme - I'll do it for ya - - Get the OMC shop manual!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Assemble the starter and have the spring end locked onto the pulley pin, leaving the length of the spring guided thru the slot, being outside of the starter.<br /><br />Now, jam the plastic gear up into the flywheel teeth somehow so that it really stays there.<br /><br />With the spark plugs out, turn the flywheel which will turn the plastic gear which will in turn withdraw the spring into the starter housing where it belongs.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Neat trick Joe. My fingers still hurt from fighting with the starter spring on my 4hp and that was four years ago.

whitenoize

Cadet

Thanks for the replies :) I cant wait to try that out Joe.Ill use a good long handled prybar to engage the drive gear.Rewinding that by hand does not look like fun.It may be usefull to have a second pair of eyes/hands too i imagine.

whitenoize

Cadet

Thanks for the tip Joe that was a snap!I am actually going to do it a second time because as i was handling the spring steel and recoil assembly i wiped off most of the grease so its a little dry in there.