Spring Maintenance List

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to put together a list of Maintenance items for the spring now so I can get all the necessary parts ahead of time and maybe not all at once. I bought the boat last summer and have no maintance records. So far all I have done is change spark plugs, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and gear lube in outdrive. I would like to before next season do a full check up and replace parts that are due since I do not know when they were last done. The boat/engine is in really good/clean condition (as compared to others I looked at) and was told it was all freshwater use. Which I believe due to little to no rust/corrosion anywhere including the original steel trailer.

What I am working on: 1995 Maxum 2000SR2 with
Mercruiser 5.0, 305 with alpha one outdrive.

So far I am thinking I should be changing the "U" Joint bellows assembly, Exhaust bellows, Shift bellows, Gimbal bearing, and Gasket's. Impeller, Wear plate, Gaskets, O-rings, and Coupling Seal in water pump. . Tools needed (other than wrenches and sockets), bell housing hinge pin tool to remove threaded hinge pins on bell housing, Water pump alignment tool, and bellows adhesive. Oh and I also plan on changing the exhaust manifolds and risers.

Any advice, tips/tricks is greatly appreciated. I have never done this before but after doing a lot of reading here and have found some nice "how to" articals with pictures. And all seems pretty strait forward. Is there any thing else you guys would recommend changing/checking. Tools needed or possably not needed from the list above.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Spring Maintenance List

Ayuh,.... There's a whole thread devoted to this topic in the Adults Only section of this forum,....

Click the Adults Only thread, then Summerization...

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... There's a whole thread devoted to this topic in the Adults Only section of this forum,....

Click the Adults Only thread, then Summerization...

Do I really need to do all these things I listed? There is nothing visually wrong right now but I have not pulled the drive off yet. Everything works and feels fine. Are some things better left alone (dont fix it if it aint broke) if there is no reason to replace now. Or is it more preventive maintance. I am mainly thinking of the gimble bearing. Do I need to pull the bell housing off?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

No reason to replace the gimbal bearing as a simple maintenance item. Only if it is making noise, or if there is evidence of water in the bellows area.

You don't need to buy the hinge pin tool - a 1/2" allen wrench will work.

It probably is a good idea to change out all the bellows and water pump.

You will need the engine alignment bar as well.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you pull your outdrive, if the bellows is dry inside, you can turn the gimbal bearing by hand, if it's smooth, no reason to replace it. Grease it and turn it by hand and pump all the old grease out of the bearing. Clean up the mess. If possible, also grease the ujoints, some don't have zirks, so it's impossible.
Always use new gasket kit to reinstall the outdrive.
Up in the Adults only sticky is a link to the OEM service manuals. Be sure to download #14 for your outdrive. It has all the details on bellows replacement.
A rule of thumb on bellows is replace after 5 years. Impeller is after 3rd year of use.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so if I replace the exhaust bellows and shift bellows and grease everything up I should be good. In the manual it talks about a crimp clamp tool for the shift bellows. Even has plans for making one. What is that all about? Can I buy one? Also about engine alignment. How does that work? Where do i get the bar?

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I looked up the engine alignment tool. Is it worth it for me to buy one or just take it to a shop and have them do it?

Don S

In the manual it talks about a crimp clamp tool for the shift bellows.

Most dealers just use the Mercury fuel hose cable ties. Check with your local Merc dealer to get a few. If you plan on working on your boat, you need an alignment bar. Ebay has them all the time. The alignment needs checked every time the drive is off, or at minimum once a year. If you have a mount go bad or come loose and the aligment goes out, it will take out the coupler. Which requires an engine pull to replace.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most dealers just use the Mercury fuel hose cable ties. Check with your local Merc dealer to get a few. If you plan on working on your boat, you need an alignment bar. Ebay has them all the time. The alignment needs checked every time the drive is off, or at minimum once a year. If you have a mount go bad or come loose and the aligment goes out, it will take out the coupler. Which requires an engine pull to replace.

Awesome, E-bay has lots to choose from. So is it worth it to get one that comes with gimbal bearing installation tool, drive shaft bellow sleeve installation tool, and Grease seal installation tool? It also says I have to drill a hole in it for correct line up. Is this normal? E-bay # 370307637830 Or should I just get the alignment tool?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Retorque the gimbal ring screws to 55 ft. lb. Easy to do when you have everything apart.

Don S

I don't think I would want to trust an alignment bar that I have been beating on with a hammer to tell me if my gimbal bearing is aligned or not.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Ok so if I replace the exhaust bellows and shift bellows and grease everything up I should be good.

It is not the exhaust bellows you need to worry about, it is the drive bellows. Like Don says, most use heavy duty zip ties instead of the metal "clamp" included with the shift bellows.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the reason DonS specifically stated MERC fuel line ties is because those ties actually have a radius under the head that allows a 360 degree clamp.
BRP wire ties are the same.
here in the salt pond the steel clamp supplied by merc lasts about 6 months and rusts off.
the new gimbal bearings from merc are permalubed and non greasable and come with a plug to replace the original grease zerk.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So Should I even worry about the exhaust bellows if they look fine? Am I going to be right there anyways doing the drive bellows? And what about the shift cable bellows? Also let me make sure I am looking at the right thing since I have not pulled the drive off. The exhaust bellows are the lowest one then the shift cable bellows above that and the drive shaft bellows are the top one?

Also the gimble ring swres. Will those be obvious as to what I am to retorque?

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also I am looking in the manual and can nor find where it talks about the drive shaft bellows. Am I blind? Is it the same as doing the exhaust bellows?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The drive shaft bellows is the large top bellows - the one the drive shaft goes through. ;)

The exhaust bellows is below that - it always has water in it when in the water, so it doesn't matter if it "leaks" - some even use a tube that is mounted on only one side.

The shift bellows is very small and is on, well, the shift cable. ;) Typically the shift bellows is simply replaced along with the shift cable. I have never needed to replace just the shift bellows - I replace the entire cable assembly, with a new shift bellows.

Is this an Alpha 1, gen 2?

Don S

Page 4A-5 for taking it apart, and 4A-8 for putting it back on.

You don't need a special tool shown on page 4A-5, for removing the sleeve. Just use a screwdrive and pry the old one out. They get bent, but you get a new one with the bellows anyway.
Installing them using powertuner, can be done without the tool. You can even make one out of plywood the same diameter as the ring.

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So for the shift bellows, I dont need to do that if it shifts fine and looks ok?

Powertuner? What is that?

Yes Alpha 1 Gen 2

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The shift cable bellows just keeps water out of the boat - doesn't have anything to do with the shifting per se. (When I say it "just" keeps water out of the boat, I don't mean to imply that is not important. :))

Here is the powertune:

71037516.jpg

josh1981

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so for the shift cable. Do I need to (or should I) replace it when I do the bellows for it? Is it easy enough to do?

Power tune for lube for the ring on the drive bellows. Do I need the bellows expansion tool for installation?